Angel Pagan at “the top of the Braves wish list”

Nov 9, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT

Angel Pagan AP AP

I saw this rumor at the paddock before the second race, outside the men’s room when I placed my bet. I saw this rumor before it even got up this morning:

The Braves are exploring other options via free agency – San Francisco’s Angel Pagan probably tops that short list — or through a trade.

That’s David O’Brien of the AJC, who notes that the top trade target is Denard Span of the Twins, who he and others believe can be had for a starting pitcher. And the Braves do have a handful of starting pitchers in their system.

Pagan, who is 31, hit .288/.338/.440 with eight homers and 29 steals last year for the Giants. The Giants, however, are likely to want him back, and several other teams are likely to be in on that action as well.

Span is going to be 29 next year. He’s certainly not the hitter that Pagan is, but he’s also under team control for three more years at a decent price: $4.75 million in 2013, $6.5 million in 2014 and a $9 million team option for 2015.

1. heyblueyoustink - Nov 9, 2012 at 10:38 AM

“I’m seeing a nice lady who works the “Unmentionables” counter at Macy’s”

• groundruledoublebourbon - Nov 9, 2012 at 11:38 AM

“Saul, you make it out to Utah much? I think you’d dig Provo.”

2. mrwillie - Nov 9, 2012 at 11:16 AM

I like Pagan in CF as a Bourne replacement but I do not see it happening for Atl. Obviously he is not going to command Bourne money, but it’s still going to take a chunk to get him to the Braves and I don’t think they will pull the trigger.

No the Braves will look for a poor mans, pour man CF and try and platoon him with Schafer who they picked up, and Costanza; throw them all against the outfield wall and see which one sticks. The Braves most likely have their center fielder on the roster as it stands now. I’m guessing any FA money is going to be thrown at 3B with a good bat, in the hopes they can keep Prado in RF and he and Heyward can make up for any shortcomings in center.

• mrwillie - Nov 9, 2012 at 11:18 AM

*Prado in LF….stupid phone.

• A.J. - Nov 9, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Tell me more of this FA 3b with a good bat.

Am I wrong in thinking Youklis (who isn’t “good” anymore) is about the only 3b available?

• bravesbaseball15 - Nov 9, 2012 at 5:32 PM

I don’t think Schafer can provide the bat we need

3. bravesbaseball15 - Nov 9, 2012 at 5:30 PM

I love the braves. but I honestly think they will never make it to the next level until they spend some money on
    quality players

4. bravonknoxville - Nov 10, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Denard Span is the best $$$ value we can get for CF. He’s not a FA until 2015 and he has a career .350+ OBP. He strikes out much less than Bourn, and he hits LH’s very well (.292 BA in ’12).Send the Twins Hanson and a prospect to secure Span’s services for at least the next 2 seasons.

Since we need a leadoff hitter anyway, why not spend smart money on Span, and dole out the cabbage on a big bat for LF??? Especially since it is unlikely the Braves will bid on Hamilton. Offer the D-Backs Teheran, Venters, and Pastornicky for Justin Upton to see if they bite.

If Towers does not think that’s enough for Upton, call the Padres regarding Chase Headley. We can leave Prado in LF. We have enough money to acquire either of those players and Span. Thoughts???

5. bravonknoxville - Nov 10, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Span-cf
    Prado-3b
    Heyward-rf
    Upton-lf
    Freeman-1b
    Uggla-2b
    FA/Mac-c
    Simmons-ss

Substitute Headley for Upton with Headley @3B and Prado in LF ???

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3621)