Nov 9, 2012, 5:41 PM EDT
There are some still trickling in — and it’s possible I may have missed one — but it appears as though every single free agent who was given a qualifying offer by their team has declined them.
Josh Hamilton, Adam LaRoche, Michael Bourn, Rafael Soriano, Nick Swisher, Hiroki Kuroda, Kyle Lohse and B.J. Upton have all been reported to have done so. If there are others out there … don’t hold your breath on an acceptance.
The teams that made qualifying offers to their free agents will now get draft pick compensation from whatever teams sign these guys. They are, however, still able to sign them themselves if they are so inclined.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)