Nov 9, 2012, 1:32 PM EDT
Bobby Valentine spoke at Salem State University last night as part of a speaker’s series. Peter Gammons was the moderator and audience questions were taken. Some highlights from CSNNewEngland.com:
- The front office wanted “a quieter, calmer” version of Bobby Valentine during the season, so he was told to tone down his usually effusive comments to the press;
- He’s happy about his future and thinks it is bright. “I have a million plans, running around the country, trying to make my life worthwhile,” he said. Most immediate plan: “In December, he will rappel down the side of the tallest building in his hometown of Stamford, Conn., as a charitable fundraiser. He will be dressed as an elf.” Brian Cashman has done this several times, actually. It’s for a good cause.
- He doesn’t think the 2012 Red Sox should be defined by their record and believes that “the team is going to be better because of all the nonsense this year.”
- Takes a swipe at Kelly Shoppach, who he said was always begging for playing time and the front office, whose attitude and leaks he criticizes, and Daniel Bard. Also, when asked by an audience member what it was like to watch Daniel Bard “slowly implode,” Valentine said “you you thought that was slow?”
Someone should probably hire him now. Not my team or the team of anyone I care about, but someone.
Apr 23, 2014, 9:29 AM EDT
Not the best call by instant replay officials in the system’s brief history.
Apr 23, 2014, 9:08 AM EDT
Right now, Cuban players have an incentive to avoid coming straight to the United States. That incentive should be eliminated.
Apr 23, 2014, 8:40 AM EDT
The columnist’s name is Anthony Rieber. And he apparently doesn’t get out much.
Apr 23, 2014, 6:35 AM EDT
Pitching porn in Atlanta. Graphic, hard core pitching porn.
Apr 22, 2014, 11:20 PM EDT
CSNNewEngland.com’s Sean McAdam reports that outfielder Shane Victorino may be activated from the disabled list Wednesday if he makes it through his third minor league rehab game Tuesday night at Triple-A Pawtucket without experiencing any issues.
Apr 22, 2014, 10:01 PM EDT
Cardinals ace Adam Wainwright landed awkwardly while trying to chase down a high-chopper off the bat of Chris Young in the seventh inning Tuesday at Citi Field and left the game with a hyperextended right knee.
Apr 22, 2014, 9:17 PM EDT
Angels fan Tim Sherrill, a resident of Ponoma, California and a member of the United States Air Force, caught Albert Pujols’ 500th career home run on Tuesday night in the nation’s capital …
Apr 22, 2014, 8:53 PM EDT
Albert Pujols hit a three-run shot to left field off Nationals starter Taylor Jordan in the top of the first inning and then crushed a two-run bomb to deep left-center off Jordan in the top of the fifth for the 499th and 500th home runs of his 14-year major league career on Tuesday night in Washington, D.C.
Apr 22, 2014, 8:39 PM EDT
Manny Machado will soon be one phone call away from rejoining the Orioles’ active major league roster. According to Eduardo A. Encina of the Baltimore Sun, the young third baseman has been cleared to embark on a minor league rehab assignment this Friday with the High-A Frederick Keys.
Apr 22, 2014, 7:51 PM EDT
Watch as Albert Pujols hits his 499th career home run Tuesday off Nationals starter Taylor Jordan …
Apr 22, 2014, 7:07 PM EDT
Roger Mooney of the Tampa Tribune reports that Rays left-hander Matt Moore underwent Tommy John reconstructive surgery, as scheduled, Tuesday on his pitching elbow. The procedure was conducted by Dr. James Andrews and deemed a success.
Apr 22, 2014, 6:24 PM EDT
Ivan Nova was diagnosed Sunday with a partially-torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow and is expected to undergo season-ending Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery. That leaves a big gap in the Yankees’ starting rotation — one that will be filled, at least initially, by left-hander Vidal Nuno.
Apr 22, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
I’ll sleep when I’m dead. Or when Napoli gets out of the sleep room so that I can have a turn. Jeez, what’s up with that guy?
Apr 22, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT
Some folks would say never enough. I’d agree.
Apr 22, 2014, 4:18 PM EDT
Ivan Nova went for a second opinion after being diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament and another doctor agreed with the initial verdict, recommending that the Yankees right-hander undergo season-ending Tommy John elbow surgery.
Apr 22, 2014, 3:20 PM EDT
MLB has handed out suspensions for the Easter afternoon brawl between the Brewers and Pirates.
Apr 22, 2014, 3:08 PM EDT
Baseball has survived “threats” like Carlos Gomez before. And has even thrived because of them. Should guys like him respect the game? How sad that’d be.
Apr 22, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
And talking about baseball stars going “head-to-head” is kinda meaningless.
Apr 22, 2014, 1:27 PM EDT
No official word from MLB yet, but Buster Olney of ESPN.com reports that Brewers catcher Martin Maldonado has been suspended five games and fined $2,500 for his role in Sunday afternoon’s brawl with the Pirates.
Apr 22, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
MLB Network now has approximately 3,457 major leaguers on staff. Ryan Dempster is the newest.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 33
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 31
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 45
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 105
- The MLBPA is serious about investigating leaks to reporters regarding Stephen Drew, Kendrys Morales 32