Nov 9, 2012, 6:46 PM EST
The Dodgers indicated at season’s end that they’d likely go into 2013 with Hanley Ramirez at shortstop and Luis Cruz at third. They’d also have the option of going back to former top prospect Dee Gordon at short and shifting Ramirez to third.
As it turns out, though, baseball’s new richest team may go in an entirely different direction at third base. FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal reports that they’re considering making a bid for free agent Kevin Youkilis.
The Dodgers would be making another addition even though they currently have eight players on their 40-man roster able to play short and/or third base:
Obviously, not all of those guys will be around next year. Gordon, Sellers and Herrera figure to head to Triple-A if they’re still in the organization. Uribe will likely be released or traded for another bad contract. Hairston can play the outfield, too, so he’ll stick around. If Cruz starts, then Punto can stick as a reserve. If Cruz is pushed into a utility role, then Punto might be released or traded.
Youkilis is also being looked at by the White Sox and Phillies, sources tell Rosenthal. Still, one imagines that if the Dodgers decide they want him, they won’t be outbid.
My thought is that they’re better off making defense the priority and putting Hanley at third. Cruz is a better shortstop than Ramirez anyway, and he and Gordon can battle it out for a starting job.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 14
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 63
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 25
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 38
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)