Nov 9, 2012, 1:52 PM EDT
Lee MacPhail, the Hall of Fame baseball executive and father of former Orioles, Cubs, and Twins general manager Andy MacPhail, has passed away at age 95.
MacPhail’s father, Larry MacPhail, is also in the Hall of Fame, making them the only father-son duo in Cooperstown.
Here’s an excerpt from the press release MLB sent announcing his death:
Beginning with the Yankees in 1949, MacPhail served as the Farm Director and Player Personnel Director for 10 years, building a system that led the team to seven World Series championships and nine pennants during his tenure.
In 1959, he became the general manager for the Baltimore Orioles, laying the groundwork for the 1966 World Series championship team as well as one of the most successful franchises in the modern era.
In 1965, MacPhail became the chief administrative assistant to newly elected commissioner William Eckert. The Sporting News named him Executive of the Year in 1966. He then returned to the Yankees as general manager from 1967 to 1973 before being elected president of the American League.
Condolences to one of the most important, influential families in baseball history.
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 7
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 15
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 3
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 34
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 13
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)