Mariano Rivera throws 25 pitches off a mound

Nov 9, 2012, 5:16 PM EDT

Mariano Rivera

… for a commercial:

Rivera climbed back atop a mound for the first time since his season-ending injury. His tosses were part of a commercial shoot, during which he gleefully destroyed a wooden camera shield.

“I’m feeling good,” said Rivera, who made about 25 throws on the Hackley School’s snow-covered diamond. “The rehab has been great; it’s been tough, but at the same time, I’m seeing good results. I can’t wait to continue and stay 100 percent. A day at a time, like I always tell you guys. A day at a time.”

No comment in the article from anyone with the Yankees opining on how cool it was that their future Hall of Famer closer’s first work off a mound since his injury was on a “snow-covered diamond.” But I assume they knew about it.

They did know about it, right?

1. ezthinking - Nov 9, 2012 at 5:21 PM

He’s a free agent so I guess he does what he wants.

2. mybrunoblog - Nov 9, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Mariano Rivera is a company guy but his status as a living legend affords him certain privelages many players wouldn’t receive. Even if the Yankees are upset about this I’ll doubt we’d ever hear about it.

3. banksatdixie - Nov 9, 2012 at 6:03 PM

You know how people say that they only have to answer to God?

Well, Mo only has to answer to himself.

• vallewho - Nov 9, 2012 at 7:54 PM

I’m pretty sure that Mo believes that he has to answer to God.

4. Marty - Nov 9, 2012 at 11:38 PM

On a related note: I enjoyed a steak dinner tonight. There were potatoes too.

• Old Gator - Nov 9, 2012 at 11:47 PM

I had a Cornish hen I’ve been marinating in papaya nectar and herbs for a few days and then charcoal grilled. Coincidentally, I also had potatoes and sauteed fennel, garlic and onions as a side, and for dessert, a sweet potato pie with pineapples and marshmallows. Reading that Mariano was back on his feet and throwing pitches again was my aperitif. I’m no Borg fan but we need our legends at least as much as we need our culinary indulgences.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3739)