Nov 9, 2012, 7:15 PM EST
The Rays may have an Upton in their lineup next season after all.
While B.J. Upton declined a one-year, $13.3 million qualifying offer earlier today and is expected to land a lucrative multi-year contract in free agency, Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com hears from rival executives that the Rays might emerge as the front-runners to pull off a trade for his brother, Justin Upton.
This is obviously very preliminary chatter, but it’s thought that the Rays could be the best alternative for the Diamondbacks if the Rangers stand firm in their refusal to give up either Elvis Andrus or top prospect Jurickson Profar. Rosenthal notes that the Rays could offer either James Shields or Jeremy Hellickson, giving Arizona a top-of-the-rotation talent. They could also offer prospect shortstop Hak-Ju Lee as part of a package, though it’s possible the Diamondbacks would have to part with additional talent to make it happen.
For what it’s worth, Rosenthal hears that some teams aren’t yet convinced that the Diamondbacks will move Upton this winter. That skepticism is probably warranted, as Kevin Towers shopped the talented outfielder during his first offseason as GM two years ago and ended up keeping him. But the rumor mill is alive and well.
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 18
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 47
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 38
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (77)