Nov 9, 2012, 1:00 PM EST
In case you forgot, the best things that happens in the offseason is the creation of new metaphors for teams expressing an interest in a player’s services. “Checking in,” “kicking the tires,” “inquiring on” and so many others. I wish the reporters would get even more creative:
- “The Yankees gave Smith a once-over”
- “The Dodgers peeped Jones and inspected the cut of his jib”
- “The Rangers grokked Johnson’s zeitgeist”
- “The Red Sox peered longingly at Shlabotnik, twirling their hair and biting on the little straw that came in their vodka tonic, suggesting all manner of possibilities, for the night was still young.”
Get going, scribes. In the meantime, Rosenthal:
Hamilton would appear to be a stretch, both from a financial and baseball perspective. But two industry sources say the Phillies are quietly checking on him. While their background work might only be due diligence, Amaro loves to make a splash, loves to surprise.
Their payroll is already crazy and they probably don’t need another lefty in that lineup, but at least it gave us an excuse to talk about the hot stove euphemisms.
And I’m glad they quietly checked on Hamilton. Little Joshy has had a big day and he’s all tuckered out. Look at him in there. He’s such and angel when he’s sleeping.
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 0
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 54
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27