Nov 9, 2012, 1:00 PM EST
In case you forgot, the best things that happens in the offseason is the creation of new metaphors for teams expressing an interest in a player’s services. “Checking in,” “kicking the tires,” “inquiring on” and so many others. I wish the reporters would get even more creative:
- “The Yankees gave Smith a once-over”
- “The Dodgers peeped Jones and inspected the cut of his jib”
- “The Rangers grokked Johnson’s zeitgeist”
- “The Red Sox peered longingly at Shlabotnik, twirling their hair and biting on the little straw that came in their vodka tonic, suggesting all manner of possibilities, for the night was still young.”
Get going, scribes. In the meantime, Rosenthal:
Hamilton would appear to be a stretch, both from a financial and baseball perspective. But two industry sources say the Phillies are quietly checking on him. While their background work might only be due diligence, Amaro loves to make a splash, loves to surprise.
Their payroll is already crazy and they probably don’t need another lefty in that lineup, but at least it gave us an excuse to talk about the hot stove euphemisms.
And I’m glad they quietly checked on Hamilton. Little Joshy has had a big day and he’s all tuckered out. Look at him in there. He’s such and angel when he’s sleeping.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)