Nov 9, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
In case you forgot, the best things that happens in the offseason is the creation of new metaphors for teams expressing an interest in a player’s services. “Checking in,” “kicking the tires,” “inquiring on” and so many others. I wish the reporters would get even more creative:
- “The Yankees gave Smith a once-over”
- “The Dodgers peeped Jones and inspected the cut of his jib”
- “The Rangers grokked Johnson’s zeitgeist”
- “The Red Sox peered longingly at Shlabotnik, twirling their hair and biting on the little straw that came in their vodka tonic, suggesting all manner of possibilities, for the night was still young.”
Get going, scribes. In the meantime, Rosenthal:
Hamilton would appear to be a stretch, both from a financial and baseball perspective. But two industry sources say the Phillies are quietly checking on him. While their background work might only be due diligence, Amaro loves to make a splash, loves to surprise.
Their payroll is already crazy and they probably don’t need another lefty in that lineup, but at least it gave us an excuse to talk about the hot stove euphemisms.
And I’m glad they quietly checked on Hamilton. Little Joshy has had a big day and he’s all tuckered out. Look at him in there. He’s such and angel when he’s sleeping.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)