The Phillies are “quietly checking on” Josh Hamilton

Nov 9, 2012, 1:00 PM EST

josh hamilton getty Getty Images

In case you forgot, the best things that happens in the offseason is the creation of new metaphors for teams expressing an interest in a player’s services. “Checking in,” “kicking the tires,” “inquiring on” and so many others. I wish the reporters would get even more creative:

• “The Yankees gave Smith a once-over”
  • “The Dodgers peeped Jones and inspected the cut of his jib”
  • “The Rangers grokked Johnson’s zeitgeist”
  • “The Red Sox peered longingly at Shlabotnik, twirling their hair and biting on the little straw that came in their vodka tonic, suggesting all manner of possibilities, for the night was still young.”

Get going, scribes.  In the meantime, Rosenthal:

Hamilton would appear to be a stretch, both from a financial and baseball perspective. But two industry sources say the Phillies are quietly checking on him. While their background work might only be due diligence, Amaro loves to make a splash, loves to surprise.

Their payroll is already crazy and they probably don’t need another lefty in that lineup, but at least it gave us an excuse to talk about the hot stove euphemisms.

And I’m glad they quietly checked on Hamilton. Little Joshy has had a big day and he’s all tuckered out. Look at him in there. He’s such and angel when he’s sleeping.

1. danaking - Nov 9, 2012 at 1:04 PM

On the one hand, given the ages of some key players, they may feel their window is closing.

On the other hand, if that is the case, they got rid of some people at the deadline who might have been able to keep the window open a little longer.

On the other other hand, there’s a good chance Amaro doesn’t know what he’s doing.If he were in football, Dan Snyder would natch him up in a heartbeat. He’s a “splash” guy, too.

• zzalapski - Nov 9, 2012 at 2:34 PM

You have three hands? That’s awesome!

• Francisco (FC) - Nov 9, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Man oh man, an opportunity lost. Why not: “On the gripping hand…”?

2. 1908wasnextyear - Nov 9, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Thanks for the “Peanuts” reference, Craig…good ol’ Joe Shlabotnik.

3. bleed4philly - Nov 9, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Very intrigued by this story, I have mixed feelings about it but I hope the phils don’t break the bank for an overachiever just trying to get paid.

4. heyblueyoustink - Nov 9, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Sure, maybe Amaro wants to set a record for most injury prone players on one roster for a season. I can see it.

5. historiophiliac - Nov 9, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Sadly, not a one of those suggestions smacks of a Regency novel…a bitter end to my bitter, bitter week.

(PS you forgot the Brewers have been gazing at him longingly, while the O’s just gave him an up-and-down glance.)

6. indaburg - Nov 9, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Nice Heinlein reference.

Ok, here’s the Braves’ version:

AJ Pierzynski is winking at the Braves with a flip of his frosted tipped hair and a wiggle in his hips. “You know I want you,” he whispers to them lovingly.

The Braves, completely oblivious to AJ’s overtures, are yearning for Angel Pagan. “Did you say something, AJ?”

• historiophiliac - Nov 9, 2012 at 2:58 PM

You know, I think you’re implying there that they prefer the POA to the POS, and if I was fully out of my post-election funk, I would totally dog you for that. ;)

• indaburg - Nov 9, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Ha!

Why are you funking?

• historiophiliac - Nov 9, 2012 at 4:16 PM

I’m funking because
        a) that was probably my worst voting experience ever — I’ve never had an armed guard at my polling place before and it was disturbing. Then, I get home and find out that at the exact time while I was voting the state was executing someone. Seriously.
        b) I knew the Tea Party candidates would win, but the two newbies we are sending to Congress are morons no self-respecting Republican should be proud of. I am sorry, America.
        c) we are going to be screwed for a very long time thanks to the passage of a couple of state questions, and though this kind of thing is not new, it leaves me in a funk for awhile after every time. I will be whining and lamenting about how I should move away for another week or so. It’s a funk.

• indaburg - Nov 9, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Those are some good reasons. Maybe you need to move to one of the coasts? ;-)

• historiophiliac - Nov 9, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Yeah, but the thing is that big red L is gonna keep dragging everyone else down if someone isn’t trying to do something about it. And, there’s a lot of really good stuff here too — too good to write off. Sometimes I wish the blue states would just give us a taste of our own medicine. Cut off our welfare and make us take some personal responsibility. lol There’s a reason young people are leaving this state in droves, but some of us stay to fight the good fight. Being a liberal in a red state isn’t for the faint of heart.

• thehobbit7 - Nov 10, 2012 at 7:12 AM

I believe the “gripping hand” reference is to Niven/Pournelle’s “The Mote in God’s Eye,” and not to anything written by Heinlein.

• indaburg - Nov 10, 2012 at 7:42 AM

I was referring to “grokked Johnson’s zeitgeist.” A Stranger in a Strange Land, no?

7. natslady - Nov 9, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal
    GMs last night dined at home of #Nationals owner Ted Lerner.

“After seeing it,” one GM said, “I think they’re getting Hamilton AND Greinke.”

So. Now you know.

• historiophiliac - Nov 9, 2012 at 2:43 PM

But, how do you feel about that?

• natstowngreg - Nov 9, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Rizzo has tried to acquire Greinke before, but Greinke vetoed the trade. Now that the Nats are winning, Greinke might take a second look, per Adam Kilgore:

Gives me chills thinking about a Strasburg-Gio-Zimmermann-Greinke-Detwiler rotation. [And yes, Greinke probably would be the 4th starter.] As for Hamilton, no thanks. Much as the Nats could use him, his injury history and personality could be a turnoff. Rizzo puts a premium on clubhouse chemistry. That would mean passing on Hamilton and giving the cash to Adam LaRoche, or maybe buying another OF (and move Michael Morse to 1B).

However, as Kilgore notes, Rizzo also needs to consider future payroll commitments to the players he has already. Over the next couple of seasons, the Nats will transitiion from a young team with a mid-sized payroll to a veteran team with a huge payroll. Several young players will be up for extensions or large arbitration awards (notably, Strasburg, Zimmermann, Detwiler, Ian Desmond, Drew Storen).

The Lerners have the cash, and seem willing to let Rizzo spend some of it on ballplayers. I can see him signing a free agent or two (or making a trade), while keeping enough payroll space avaialble in 2015 and beyond to keep the team’s young core together.

• natslady - Nov 9, 2012 at 8:27 PM

^^^ what he said, since you ask. Natstowngreg, right on point.

8. seeingwhatsticks - Nov 9, 2012 at 2:31 PM

I feel like you missed the best and most obvious euphemism: “The Phillies are just giving Hamilton a quick reach-around.”

9. tvguy22 - Nov 9, 2012 at 4:12 PM