Nov 10, 2012, 10:52 AM EDT
We heard a report earlier this week linking the Orioles to both Josh Hamilton and Cody Ross as potential options for left field next year, but the club is currently focused on keeping one of their surprising late-season contributors.
Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reports that the Orioles continue to pursue free agent outfielder Nate McLouth. The two sides have maintained dialogue since the 31-year-old hit the open market last week and two industry sources told Connolly yesterday that the Orioles are “still optimistic” about re-signing him.
McLouth’s future as a big leaguer was in doubt after he was released by the Pirates in late May, but he latched on with the Orioles just a few days later and was assigned to Triple-A Norfolk. He didn’t end up joining the big club until August, but he played a major role down the stretch, hitting .268/.342/.435 with seven home runs, 18 RBI, 12 stolen bases and a .777 OPS in 236 plate appearances. His hot-hitting continued during the postseason, as he batted .308 (8-for-26) with two home runs, five RBI and three stolen bases in five games.
There’s danger in putting too much stock in the small sample size of success, as McLouth could revert to the same player who batted .203/.312/.313 from 2010 to when he was released by the Pirates this year, but he has certainly played his way into another guaranteed major league contract.
- Don Mattingly may be uttering his last words as Dodgers manager 24
- Jaime Garcia needs shoulder surgery 6
- Rafael Soriano calls out Bryce Harper for the game-tying triple last night 51
- Apparently MLB is going to ignore Alex Sanabia throwing a spitball 35
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 66
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (116)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (106)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (73)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- HBT: Soriano calls out Harper after blown save
- PHT: Sharks take Game 4, pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1