Nov 10, 2012, 8:37 AM EDT
UPDATE: Rosenthal reports that Ross will get a total of $6.2 million over the two years. It’s well-deserved raise for Ross, who just finished up a two-year, $3.25 million extension with the Braves.
Widely regarded as one of the best backup catchers in the game, Ross batted .256/.321/.449 with nine home runs, 23 RBI and a .770 OPS over 196 plate appearances with the Braves this season while throwing out 44 percent of attempted basestealers. The 35-year-old has 24 homers, 94 RBI and an .816 OPS in 663 plate appearances dating back to 2009.
As for Ross’ role with his new team, Rosenthal hears that the veteran backstop will be “more than a backup but not a starter.” Meanwhile, the signing provides the Red Sox with more flexibility to listen to trade offers for both Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Ryan Lavarnway. The Braves had interest in keeping Ross, especially with Brian McCann coming off shoulder surgery, but they’ll now have to look elsewhere.
May 5, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Speedy trials, my foot.
May 5, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
Pedro Martinez says his Red Sox teams led the league in hugs, handshakes and bad hair. Sounds like they led the league in being buck naked too.
May 5, 2015, 12:25 PM EDT
Miami cut Saltalamacchia loose with about $15 million remaining on a three-year, $21 million deal signed last offseason.
May 5, 2015, 11:32 AM EDT
The Brewers’ catcher is on a team-friendly deal and is viewed as a cornerstone of the franchise.
May 5, 2015, 11:19 AM EDT
May 5, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
“Until he gets into a game situation and feels confident with the leg, we’re not going to know.”
May 5, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
GM says Hamilton “seems to be 100 percent” healthy.
May 5, 2015, 9:41 AM EDT
He’s also struck out ten times over that span, so he’s becoming Dave Kingman I guess.
May 5, 2015, 9:24 AM EDT
With an interesting twist above the left field wall
May 5, 2015, 8:40 AM EDT
May 5, 2015, 7:18 AM EDT
An old friend returns to the site of his greatest triumphs.
May 4, 2015, 11:25 PM EDT
The Astros hadn’t lost a game since April 22.
May 4, 2015, 10:43 PM EDT
Ramirez suffered the injury when he ran into the wall along the left-field line while attempting to make a catch.
May 4, 2015, 10:13 PM EDT
Anthony Rendon’s long road back from a left knee sprain has hit a roadblock due to an oblique strain.
May 4, 2015, 10:05 PM EDT
Jeff Karstens hasn’t appeared in the majors since 2012 due to injury and today he took to Instagram to announce his retirement from baseball.
May 4, 2015, 9:03 PM EDT
Jackson sprained his ankle during Sunday’s game and will require an extended absence.
May 4, 2015, 7:34 PM EDT
MLB brought the hammer down really hard on Blue Jays hitting coach Brook Jacoby for an incident with the umpiring crew while the team was in Boston last week.
May 4, 2015, 6:35 PM EDT
Rays right-hander Alex Cobb has been sidelined since the middle of March due to forearm tendinitis and it doesn’t sound like he’ll be back in the near future.
May 4, 2015, 5:29 PM EDT
Ottavino finishes the season with a 0.00 ERA and 13/2 K/BB ratio in 10 innings.
May 4, 2015, 5:11 PM EDT
The pitchers and rookies of the month were also named.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 47
- Rangers snap Astros’ 10-game winning streak 7
- UPDATE: Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 27
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 18
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 94
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 26
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 55
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (120)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)