Nov 10, 2012, 5:30 PM EDT
Shane Victorino is coming off his worst season in the majors, but that hasn’t stopped teams from expressing interest in the free agent outfielder.
Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com reports that Victorino is “on the radar” for the Red Sox, Rangers, Indians and Reds, among other teams in the market for outfield help.
Victorino, who turns 32 later this month, batted .255/.321/.383 with 11 home runs and 55 RBI, 39 stolen bases and a career-low .704 OPS in 154 games this season between the Phillies and Dodgers. While he had a steep and sudden decline from his career-high .847 OPS from last year, Crasnick speculates that he’ll draw interest due to his track record, his experience in big markets and his ability to play all three outfield positions. He also has a penchant for making wonderful GIFs for the whole world to enjoy.
Victorino is in the second tier of free agent center fielders along with Angel Pagan. Both players could function as fallback options for teams who are unable to sign or are uncomfortable with the asking price for the likes of Josh Hamilton, Michael Bourn, B.J. Upton and Torii Hunter.
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 7
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 196
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 93
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 30
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (198)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (93)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (84)