Nov 11, 2012, 1:47 PM EDT
Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported late last week that the Cardinals have interest in acquiring shortstop Asdrubal Cabrera from the Indians this offseason. And if the source giving information to ESPN’s Buster Olney is to be believed, there might just be a match:
Not surprisingly, the Indians have targeted young starting pitching as they begin the process of taking offers for Asdrubal Cabrera, others.
— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) November 10, 2012
The Cardinals have a ridiculous amount of good young starting pitching, extending from their major league roster all the way to the lower levels of their minor league system. Guys like Lance Lynn, Joe Kelly, Shelby Miller and Trevor Rosenthal burst onto the scene during the 2012 season, and others like Carlos Martinez, Michael Wacha, Jordan Swagerty and Tyrell Jenkins are still on the way.
Cabrera, 26, boasts a .272/.335/.443 batting line, 41 home runs and 160 RBI in 294 games since the start of the 2011 campaign. He would be a significant upgrade over Rafael Furcal, who has had durability issues.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)