Nov 11, 2012, 1:47 PM EDT
Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported late last week that the Cardinals have interest in acquiring shortstop Asdrubal Cabrera from the Indians this offseason. And if the source giving information to ESPN’s Buster Olney is to be believed, there might just be a match:
Not surprisingly, the Indians have targeted young starting pitching as they begin the process of taking offers for Asdrubal Cabrera, others.
— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) November 10, 2012
The Cardinals have a ridiculous amount of good young starting pitching, extending from their major league roster all the way to the lower levels of their minor league system. Guys like Lance Lynn, Joe Kelly, Shelby Miller and Trevor Rosenthal burst onto the scene during the 2012 season, and others like Carlos Martinez, Michael Wacha, Jordan Swagerty and Tyrell Jenkins are still on the way.
Cabrera, 26, boasts a .272/.335/.443 batting line, 41 home runs and 160 RBI in 294 games since the start of the 2011 campaign. He would be a significant upgrade over Rafael Furcal, who has had durability issues.
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 4
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 15
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 48
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 49
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)