Nov 11, 2012, 1:47 PM EDT
Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported late last week that the Cardinals have interest in acquiring shortstop Asdrubal Cabrera from the Indians this offseason. And if the source giving information to ESPN’s Buster Olney is to be believed, there might just be a match:
Not surprisingly, the Indians have targeted young starting pitching as they begin the process of taking offers for Asdrubal Cabrera, others.
— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) November 10, 2012
The Cardinals have a ridiculous amount of good young starting pitching, extending from their major league roster all the way to the lower levels of their minor league system. Guys like Lance Lynn, Joe Kelly, Shelby Miller and Trevor Rosenthal burst onto the scene during the 2012 season, and others like Carlos Martinez, Michael Wacha, Jordan Swagerty and Tyrell Jenkins are still on the way.
Cabrera, 26, boasts a .272/.335/.443 batting line, 41 home runs and 160 RBI in 294 games since the start of the 2011 campaign. He would be a significant upgrade over Rafael Furcal, who has had durability issues.
Oct 31, 2014, 11:55 PM EDT
The Angels are expected to address their pitching needs by making Howie Kendrick or David Freese available in a trade.
Oct 31, 2014, 11:15 PM EDT
Veteran lefty Jeff Francis has agreed to a minor league deal with an invitation to spring training with the Blue Jays.
Oct 31, 2014, 10:25 PM EDT
The Blue Jays will exercise a $6.7 million club option on J.A. Happ for the 2015 season.
Oct 31, 2014, 9:55 PM EDT
Twins prospect Byron Buxton had surgery on Thursday to repair a dislocated middle finger on his left hand.
Oct 31, 2014, 9:05 PM EDT
Nick Markakis is a free agent after the Orioles declined their half of a $17.5 million mutual option for the 2015 season.
Oct 31, 2014, 8:25 PM EDT
Pablo Sandoval says he wants to retire a Giant. He’s a free agent and is expected to sign a lengthy, expensive contract.
Oct 31, 2014, 7:35 PM EDT
Chad Billingsley is now a free agent after the Dodgers declined their club option for the 2015 season.
Oct 31, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
Colby Lewis will test free agency after he and the Rangers couldn’t strike a deal.
Oct 31, 2014, 6:05 PM EDT
Madison Bumgarner’s post-season performance prompted Jockey to make underwear with “Mad Bum” on the backside, a special gift to Giants fans at Friday’s World Series parade in San Francisco.
Oct 31, 2014, 5:17 PM EDT
This season Hawkins became one of 16 pitchers in MLB history with 1,000 or more appearances and if healthy he’ll move into the top 10 next season.
Oct 31, 2014, 4:34 PM EDT
But will he accept it?
Oct 31, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT
Rios is now a free agent coming off a season in which he hit .280 with four homers and a .709 OPS in 131 games.
Oct 31, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
The end of this awkward, orchestrated process is in sight.
Oct 31, 2014, 3:50 PM EDT
He’ll be eligible for free agency next offseason at age 34.
Oct 31, 2014, 3:20 PM EDT
Both players will reject the offers.
Oct 31, 2014, 2:55 PM EDT
Here we go.
Oct 31, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
Dirks missed the entire season following back surgery and then a hamstring injury.
Oct 31, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Go O.D. on some hot trolley action.
Oct 31, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT
Chavez played for the Yankees in 2011 and 2012.
Oct 31, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Our last HBT Daily of the year gives a brief taste of the coming winter.
- The Cubs to announce the hiring of Joe Maddon on Monday 38
- Cubs fire manager Rick Renteria, clear way for Joe Maddon 69
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 24
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 121
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 31
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 108
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 83
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (282)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game (132)
- Fox’s World Series broadcast gets a low grade from The New York Times (111)