Nov 11, 2012, 10:26 AM EDT
The Red Sox have been linked to a range of different players — free agents or not — this offseason. But we can probably already rule out one particular guy.
According to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe, the Red Sox are unlikely to risk a trade for Indians outfielder Shin-Soo Choo because he’s one year way from hitting the open market and is represented by Scott Boras. The Sox would have to know they could lock Choo up long term to even consider it.
So let’s scratch that Jon Paul Morosi report for now.
Choo, 30, batted .283/.373/.441 with 16 home runs, 21 stolen bases and 67 RBI in 155 games this past season for Cleveland. The rebuilding Indians have made just about everybody available via trade.
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 0
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 38
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 18
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)