Nov 12, 2012, 1:46 PM EDT
A.J. Pierzynski has said he’d like to re-sign with the White Sox and new general manager Rick Hahn has said he’s open to bringing back the free agent catcher, but Dan Hayes of CSNChicago.com put together five reasons why a reunion won’t be happening.
Some are money/roster based, while another is the fact that Tyler Flowers is 26 years old and if the White Sox think he has any kind of long-term future as a catcher in the big leagues it’s time to give him an extended opportunity.
Securing a multi-year contract might be tough for Pierzynski at age 35, but there are plenty of teams for whom he’d be a big upgrade coming off a season in which he hit .278 with career-highs in homers (27), RBIs (77), slugging percentage (.501), and OPS (.827). He’s not much of a defender at this point, but Pierzynski has been an above-average catcher offensively for basically his entire career.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 22
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 81
- The Lester trade is a win-win 110
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 92
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (163)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (109)