Nov 12, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT
This is somewhat amusing. A college student who lives near the site of old Tiger Stadium in Detroit conducted a psychological experiment in which he put up a banner advertising a forthcoming auto dealership on the hallowed ground at the corner of Michigan and Trumbull, inviting people to go to a website for more information and to submit job applications. Then he put up a comments box to see what people thought.
Benghauser left plenty of clues for the devoted Tigers fan that his sign is fake. The name of the dealership, Navin, comes from the old name of the concrete and steel stadium built in 1911. The name of the architect listed on the sign, George Bennet, comes from Bennett Park, the name of the first stadium built on the site in 1895 by Detroit Tigers owner George Vanderbeck. Vanderbeck’s name is also referenced on the sign.
He got some angry comments and it’s not at all clear what kind of academic paper that would create. But the good news is that he is using the experiment as a means of raising money to erect an Ernie Harwell statue on the old stadium grounds. The website he used for the phony car dealer actually goes to a Kickstarter page for that purpose.
The last real plan for the site — headquarters for the company that operates holiday parades in Detroit — is still pending. In the meantime you can still go and play there like I did this past summer.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 9
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 161
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 69
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (161)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)