Nov 12, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT
This is somewhat amusing. A college student who lives near the site of old Tiger Stadium in Detroit conducted a psychological experiment in which he put up a banner advertising a forthcoming auto dealership on the hallowed ground at the corner of Michigan and Trumbull, inviting people to go to a website for more information and to submit job applications. Then he put up a comments box to see what people thought.
Benghauser left plenty of clues for the devoted Tigers fan that his sign is fake. The name of the dealership, Navin, comes from the old name of the concrete and steel stadium built in 1911. The name of the architect listed on the sign, George Bennet, comes from Bennett Park, the name of the first stadium built on the site in 1895 by Detroit Tigers owner George Vanderbeck. Vanderbeck’s name is also referenced on the sign.
He got some angry comments and it’s not at all clear what kind of academic paper that would create. But the good news is that he is using the experiment as a means of raising money to erect an Ernie Harwell statue on the old stadium grounds. The website he used for the phony car dealer actually goes to a Kickstarter page for that purpose.
The last real plan for the site — headquarters for the company that operates holiday parades in Detroit — is still pending. In the meantime you can still go and play there like I did this past summer.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 69
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (87)