Nov 12, 2012, 8:32 PM EDT
UPDATE: Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com was told by sources that the Giants and Affeldt have reached agreement on a new contract. As mentioned earlier, it’s expected to be about $18 million over three years.
3:45 PM: Last week Jeremy Affeldt and the Giants were said to be close to a three-year contract and now both Buster Olney of ESPN.com and Bob Nightengale of USA Today report that the reliever’s deal is expected to be worth $18 million.
Affeldt just finished a three-year, $14 million deal, so he gets a nice 29 percent raise after throwing 175 innings with a 3.09 ERA during the previous contract.
Signing a setup man for three years and $6 million per season through age 36 is a pretty steep price to pay, but obviously the Giants love Affeldt and he’s consistently been one of the best left-handed relievers in baseball since 2007.
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 17
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 9
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 24
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 60
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 25
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)