Nov 12, 2012, 8:32 PM EDT
UPDATE: Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com was told by sources that the Giants and Affeldt have reached agreement on a new contract. As mentioned earlier, it’s expected to be about $18 million over three years.
3:45 PM: Last week Jeremy Affeldt and the Giants were said to be close to a three-year contract and now both Buster Olney of ESPN.com and Bob Nightengale of USA Today report that the reliever’s deal is expected to be worth $18 million.
Affeldt just finished a three-year, $14 million deal, so he gets a nice 29 percent raise after throwing 175 innings with a 3.09 ERA during the previous contract.
Signing a setup man for three years and $6 million per season through age 36 is a pretty steep price to pay, but obviously the Giants love Affeldt and he’s consistently been one of the best left-handed relievers in baseball since 2007.
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 26
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 27
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 23
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)