Nov 12, 2012, 8:32 PM EDT
UPDATE: Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com was told by sources that the Giants and Affeldt have reached agreement on a new contract. As mentioned earlier, it’s expected to be about $18 million over three years.
3:45 PM: Last week Jeremy Affeldt and the Giants were said to be close to a three-year contract and now both Buster Olney of ESPN.com and Bob Nightengale of USA Today report that the reliever’s deal is expected to be worth $18 million.
Affeldt just finished a three-year, $14 million deal, so he gets a nice 29 percent raise after throwing 175 innings with a 3.09 ERA during the previous contract.
Signing a setup man for three years and $6 million per season through age 36 is a pretty steep price to pay, but obviously the Giants love Affeldt and he’s consistently been one of the best left-handed relievers in baseball since 2007.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 18
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)