Nov 12, 2012, 8:32 PM EDT
UPDATE: Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com was told by sources that the Giants and Affeldt have reached agreement on a new contract. As mentioned earlier, it’s expected to be about $18 million over three years.
3:45 PM: Last week Jeremy Affeldt and the Giants were said to be close to a three-year contract and now both Buster Olney of ESPN.com and Bob Nightengale of USA Today report that the reliever’s deal is expected to be worth $18 million.
Affeldt just finished a three-year, $14 million deal, so he gets a nice 29 percent raise after throwing 175 innings with a 3.09 ERA during the previous contract.
Signing a setup man for three years and $6 million per season through age 36 is a pretty steep price to pay, but obviously the Giants love Affeldt and he’s consistently been one of the best left-handed relievers in baseball since 2007.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 2
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 15
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 43
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing 99
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Cardinals “looking for offense” … not Jake Peavy 32
- 2014 Home Run Derby participants … 28
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)