Nov 12, 2012, 3:30 PM EDT
Random press release:
The Office of the Commissioner of Baseball announced today that free agent Minor League right-handed pitcher Rafael W. Martinez has received a 50-game suspension for his refusal to test, a violation of the Minor League Drug Prevention and Treatment Program.
That’s one you don’t see very often.
This is the Rafael Martinez who was in the Giants organization. But he apparently didn’t play anywhere in 2012. Before that he had some rookie league experience and then spent four years in the Dominican Summer League. You have to think that he simply gave up on baseball and didn’t take the test because, heck, why should he?
I’m sure someone, however, will spin this as further evidence that baseball needs tougher suspensions, drug use is rampant, etc. etc. froth, foam and growl.
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 34
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 16
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 61
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29