Nov 12, 2012, 3:30 PM EST
Random press release:
The Office of the Commissioner of Baseball announced today that free agent Minor League right-handed pitcher Rafael W. Martinez has received a 50-game suspension for his refusal to test, a violation of the Minor League Drug Prevention and Treatment Program.
That’s one you don’t see very often.
This is the Rafael Martinez who was in the Giants organization. But he apparently didn’t play anywhere in 2012. Before that he had some rookie league experience and then spent four years in the Dominican Summer League. You have to think that he simply gave up on baseball and didn’t take the test because, heck, why should he?
I’m sure someone, however, will spin this as further evidence that baseball needs tougher suspensions, drug use is rampant, etc. etc. froth, foam and growl.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (135)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)