Nov 12, 2012, 3:30 PM EDT
Random press release:
The Office of the Commissioner of Baseball announced today that free agent Minor League right-handed pitcher Rafael W. Martinez has received a 50-game suspension for his refusal to test, a violation of the Minor League Drug Prevention and Treatment Program.
That’s one you don’t see very often.
This is the Rafael Martinez who was in the Giants organization. But he apparently didn’t play anywhere in 2012. Before that he had some rookie league experience and then spent four years in the Dominican Summer League. You have to think that he simply gave up on baseball and didn’t take the test because, heck, why should he?
I’m sure someone, however, will spin this as further evidence that baseball needs tougher suspensions, drug use is rampant, etc. etc. froth, foam and growl.
- Today is the Sox’ annual Patriot’s Day game. It’s more significant now than ever. 12
- Boswell: “Harper may be the Nats’ seventh-best player” 52
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 71
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 10
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 180
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (249)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (180)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (113)