Phillies interested in Josh Hamilton, Cody Ross

Nov 12, 2012, 3:02 PM EDT

Apparently Ruben Amaro apparently woke up today and said “I think I wanna aggravate my entire fan base.”

The Ross thing would anger the hardcore rah-rah Phillies fans who are likely still mad at Ross for abusing Roy Halladay in the 2010 playoffs. The Hamilton thing would anger the more stats-oriented guys who worry about albatross contracts and locking up players past their prime.

I mean, on some level they’d like it because it could refresh the Ryan Howard trolling which is a lot of fun, but at the end of the day, I don’t think anyone trusts Ruben Amaro not to overpay Hamilton.

1. lmoneyfresh - Nov 12, 2012 at 3:08 PM

So the Phillies have the exact same concerns as every other GM does with Hamilton. Great work there Buster.

• paperlions - Nov 12, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Well, some teams probably don’t like the AAV or the years.

2. drmonkeyarmy - Nov 12, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Well, I’d have a problem with Cody Ross because I don’t think he is very good. The abusing Halladay thing is irrelevant to me. It is not like he was a dick about it or anything. I don’t know about Hamilton. He gets hurt quite a bit is is weird. He can hit though…probably not enough to justify whatever asinine contract he will get but that is what I like to call a RAJ special.

• rickhigginshtbro - Nov 12, 2012 at 3:13 PM

you know, i wouldn’t mind hamilton at all if there was a clause in his contract that stated that he only gets league minimum while he is on the DL. Otherwise, $18m+ a year for any length, to me, is too risky.

3. kvanhorn87 - Nov 12, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Take your best shot at short term insane offer. We can bounce back quickly. Cody Ross would be welcomed with open arms.

4. scotttheskeptic - Nov 12, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Nice opening paragraph, and deadly accurate. This could well mark the beginning of “what the f*#@ is Amaro doing?” redux.
    Oh, it is not Ross’ fault that no one in the Phils’ dugout recognized that he was raking pitches that were down and in.

5. chill1184 - Nov 12, 2012 at 3:17 PM

“The Hamilton thing would anger the more stats-oriented guys who worry about albatross contracts and locking up players past their prime.”

Why is this considered a state-guy only concern?

6. proudlycanadian - Nov 12, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Conversely, the story could be headlined “The Desperate Agents For Ross and Hamilton are Pitching Their Clients to Philadelphia, in Order to Drum Up A Bid From Someone.” It does not matter if Philadelphia is interested as the agents would be happy if looked as if there is competition for their clients.

• mdpickles - Nov 12, 2012 at 4:32 PM

You know, that was my first thought too. If the Nationals and Braves want Hamilton, why not scare them into spending more money on Hamilton while leaving little resources for other acquisitions? I dunno, these GM’s and there funny business. Hot stove getting hotter.

7. browntown63 - Nov 12, 2012 at 3:28 PM

If they sign Hamilton, where does he bat? 3rd? Then Utley in the 2 hole? They run into a lefty strong line-up again. Here’s my take on the lineup if he is acquired:

1-Rollins
    2-Utley
    3-Hamilton
    4-Howard
    5-Ruf (?)
    6-Ruiz
    7-Brown
    8-Galvis/Fransden (?)

This looks good on paper I suppose, but that’s only if they can stay healthy

• roverkarlthecannedham - Nov 12, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Should you not bat Mr. Ruiz higher? He hits too well to be in the six.

• siftin thru nonsense - Nov 12, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Powerful lineup there. 3 lefties in a row though? idk bout that. The funny thing is that Ruf will probably hit better than Howard, but we are paying Howard so much that he has to hit cleanup. Oh well. I would move Howard down until he hits better than .230. I would sit him vs lefties for sure.
      you should add mayberry there for the platoons. where is Mayberry?? Incomplete.

• phillyreese215 - Nov 13, 2012 at 12:26 AM

4-5 years 100mill? i rather have bourn and great center fielder and an leadoff batter and youklis at third base for one year before i take Hamilton.

8. vicvega422 - Nov 12, 2012 at 3:40 PM

You really don’t know the fans that well… Despite what happen in 2010, most folks appreciate a guy like Ross… Roll out the Santa / snowball story while you’re at it.

• Francisco (FC) - Nov 12, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Yeah that’s kinda like of saying hard-core Dodgers fans should still be peeved at Matt Stairs for abusing Jonathan Broxton.

• mgdsquiggy17 - Nov 12, 2012 at 6:35 PM

where is the trolling in that though?

• dodgersdog - Nov 13, 2012 at 1:10 PM

I still hate stairs

9. xmatt0926x - Nov 12, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Is 4 years for $100 million unreasonable for Hamilton? With his history I think he would be unreasonable to demand more, not to ask for more, but to demand more. It’s still likely an overpay to some extent but what major contract to the elite of the elite isn’t? Unless it’s the Dodgers I don’t see how he can get more than 5 years. Everyone knew Pujols would get 9 or 10 years. This is different. As a Phillies fan I wouldn’t mind 5 years tops. As far as Cody Ross, I don’t think anyone cares what he did in 2010. We just know that he was never that good and won’t likely be again. He had a nice year for Boston last season but I wouldn’t count on that repeating. Not a bad player, just not a very good one either.

10. bricktop02 - Nov 12, 2012 at 5:24 PM

The phillies don’t need another left handed slugger that is going to strike out 150+ times.

11. mungman69 - Nov 12, 2012 at 7:16 PM

W.T.F.

12. rawhead08 - Nov 12, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Hamilton might belt 60 homers in that ice box citizens bank park

13. phillyreese215 - Nov 13, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Reblogged this on phillyreese215 and commented:
    Add your thoughts here… (optional)

14. mungman69 - Nov 13, 2012 at 3:33 AM

Cody Ross would be a good fit, that other guy, not much.

15. hisgirlgotburrelled - Nov 13, 2012 at 10:43 AM

We have filled that stadium quite a bit for the last few years and they are spending what they made. Not going after, or at least talking to, the top free agents would aggrevate me.

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3240)