Nov 12, 2012, 10:15 AM EST
After undergoing season-ending hip surgery Todd Helton said back in September that he planned to play in 2013, but now he’s added knee surgery to the recovery process and may not be fully locked into coming back.
Patrick Saunders of the Denver Post writes that “the Rockies have to be prepared if he decides to retire” and “Helton won’t make a final decision until he sees how his surgically repaired hip responds after workouts this winter.”
Whether the focus is on his career-worst 2012 production or his current health Helton is no longer an everyday player at age 39, so even if he does return the Rockies will be giving significant time to someone else at first base.
Helton is owed $5 million in the final season of his contract and 2013 would be his 17th year with the Rockies.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 74
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)