“Super scout” leaves Pirates after being denied chance to interview with Yankees

Nov 12, 2012, 2:18 PM EDT

pirates logo1

Mike Leuzinger, who’s described by Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune Review as a “super scout,” has left the Pirates after being denied an opportunity to interview with the Yankees.

Leuzinger has been with the Pirates since 2004 and told Biertempfel “that kind of stung” when the team denied the Yankees’ request shortly after the season ended.

I wish I could’ve known what the job was. I asked [director of amateur scouting Joe DelliCarri] if he would reconsider. I just wanted to have that opportunity. I’ve been an area scout for 20 years and I think I can do more. When I looked into the crystal ball a couple years down the line with the Pirates, I think I’d be in the same spot.

Obviously an area scout–even one described as a “super scout”–leaving an organization isn’t usually particularly newsworthy, but given some of the other recent stories about how the Pirates run things I figured it was worth pointing out.

As Biertempfel writes: “It seems odd the Pirates would value him enough to block the Yanks from stealing him away but also not offer Leuzinger a promotion nor give him any indication one is possible in the near future.”

1. redguy12588 - Nov 12, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Can I please just go one fucking day without reading what a joke my organization is?

• stex52 - Nov 12, 2012 at 2:27 PM

My sympathies. But then we’d be reading about what a joke the Astros are.

• paperlions - Nov 12, 2012 at 2:36 PM

My sympathies to both fan bases….the Astros, I think, are headed in the right direction…at least, they are headed in a direction. The Pirates appear to be rudderless, circling helplessly, always covering the same familiar and unfriendly waters.

• Old Gator - Nov 12, 2012 at 5:00 PM

On the other hand, given which one my organization is, I have no sympathy for any of you.

• paperlions - Nov 12, 2012 at 5:25 PM

How about empathies? Do you have those?

• Old Gator - Nov 12, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Given all the disparaging things you’ve written in the past about your colleagues and students, I suspect I’m better supplied with them than you are.

• paperlions - Nov 12, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Such as?

• Old Gator - Nov 13, 2012 at 4:28 AM

Feigning naivete, are we? Boy, I sure hope you don’t think I believe you’re worth the trouble of going back and finding them. You know and I know. Schmuck.

• paperlions - Nov 13, 2012 at 7:16 AM

I honestly don’t remember disparaging students or colleagues. Look you pedantic blowhard, you probably shouldn’t cast aspersions if you can’t be bothered providing evidence….not even vague recollections as to what the content might have been.

Now, fuck off and go think up more juvenile names for people you don’t approve of.

• protius - Nov 13, 2012 at 8:05 AM

“Pedantic blowhard”………..LMAO

2. deathmonkey41 - Nov 12, 2012 at 2:28 PM

So, can he interview with the Yankees now?

• paperlions - Nov 12, 2012 at 2:38 PM

I would imagine so. I admit that I have no idea what the contracts of scouts might be like….but it seems unlikely that they would have be so restrictive…indeed, I would be surprised if many of them were for more than a year or two.

3. planosteelerfan - Nov 12, 2012 at 3:30 PM

When is the Baseball Commissioner going to step in. A complete fallout in the second half and everyone keeps their jobs. I’m a huge fan, but Selig, pleas, do something or get me a job there. I am pretty sure I can suck just as bad, and yet, know i get to keep the job!

4. joewilliesshnoz - Nov 13, 2012 at 9:43 AM

How does twenty years of losing, turn someone into a super – scout ???

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3578)