Nov 12, 2012, 2:18 PM EDT
Mike Leuzinger, who’s described by Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune Review as a “super scout,” has left the Pirates after being denied an opportunity to interview with the Yankees.
Leuzinger has been with the Pirates since 2004 and told Biertempfel “that kind of stung” when the team denied the Yankees’ request shortly after the season ended.
I wish I could’ve known what the job was. I asked [director of amateur scouting Joe DelliCarri] if he would reconsider. I just wanted to have that opportunity. I’ve been an area scout for 20 years and I think I can do more. When I looked into the crystal ball a couple years down the line with the Pirates, I think I’d be in the same spot.
Obviously an area scout–even one described as a “super scout”–leaving an organization isn’t usually particularly newsworthy, but given some of the other recent stories about how the Pirates run things I figured it was worth pointing out.
As Biertempfel writes: “It seems odd the Pirates would value him enough to block the Yanks from stealing him away but also not offer Leuzinger a promotion nor give him any indication one is possible in the near future.”
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 13
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 78
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)