Nov 12, 2012, 2:18 PM EDT
Mike Leuzinger, who’s described by Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune Review as a “super scout,” has left the Pirates after being denied an opportunity to interview with the Yankees.
Leuzinger has been with the Pirates since 2004 and told Biertempfel “that kind of stung” when the team denied the Yankees’ request shortly after the season ended.
I wish I could’ve known what the job was. I asked [director of amateur scouting Joe DelliCarri] if he would reconsider. I just wanted to have that opportunity. I’ve been an area scout for 20 years and I think I can do more. When I looked into the crystal ball a couple years down the line with the Pirates, I think I’d be in the same spot.
Obviously an area scout–even one described as a “super scout”–leaving an organization isn’t usually particularly newsworthy, but given some of the other recent stories about how the Pirates run things I figured it was worth pointing out.
As Biertempfel writes: “It seems odd the Pirates would value him enough to block the Yanks from stealing him away but also not offer Leuzinger a promotion nor give him any indication one is possible in the near future.”
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 10
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 46
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 25
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)