Nov 12, 2012, 2:18 PM EDT
Mike Leuzinger, who’s described by Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune Review as a “super scout,” has left the Pirates after being denied an opportunity to interview with the Yankees.
Leuzinger has been with the Pirates since 2004 and told Biertempfel “that kind of stung” when the team denied the Yankees’ request shortly after the season ended.
I wish I could’ve known what the job was. I asked [director of amateur scouting Joe DelliCarri] if he would reconsider. I just wanted to have that opportunity. I’ve been an area scout for 20 years and I think I can do more. When I looked into the crystal ball a couple years down the line with the Pirates, I think I’d be in the same spot.
Obviously an area scout–even one described as a “super scout”–leaving an organization isn’t usually particularly newsworthy, but given some of the other recent stories about how the Pirates run things I figured it was worth pointing out.
As Biertempfel writes: “It seems odd the Pirates would value him enough to block the Yanks from stealing him away but also not offer Leuzinger a promotion nor give him any indication one is possible in the near future.”
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 0
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 13
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 68
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)