Nov 12, 2012, 9:51 PM EDT
We heard a report over the weekend that the Dodgers were “aggressively pursuing” free agent outfielder Torii Hunter. While nothing can be ruled out right now with the free-spending Dodgers, it didn’t make a lot of sense considering that Matt Kemp, Andre Ethier and Carl Crawford are all locked in on long-term contracts. And it appears they will not be a match.
Mark Saxon of ESPN Los Angeles was told by a source that the Dodgers are “out” on Hunter. No word on whether the player or the team ended talks, but Hunter told Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times on Saturday that the Dodgers didn’t offer him a two-year deal and that he wasn’t ready to take on a diminished role. He’s likely to get a two-year deal and a clear path to a starting job elsewhere.
The Tigers, Rangers, Yankees, Red Sox, Phillies and Braves are just a few of the teams who have reportedly expressed interest in Hunter. Saxon reported this morning that the veteran outfielder is expected to make a decision about where to sign within the next two weeks.
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 2
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 37
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 131
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 69
- Willie Mays congratulates Alex Rodriguez for reaching 660 career home runs 33
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (363)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (131)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)