Nov 12, 2012, 9:44 AM EST
Mike Pelfrey underwent Tommy John surgery in May and won’t be ready for the beginning of the season. Indeed, given how long it can take for post-TJ pitchers to regain command, he may not be terribly useful for much of 2013, let alone the beginning. That is not dissuading the Mets, however. Mike Puma of the New York Post reports that, as suspected, New York wants to bring him back.
He’s gonna get non-tendered, obviously, so he’ll come way cheaper than the $5.6 million he made in 2012. And given the injury and uncertainty, it’s unlikely that he’ll get a ton of interest from other teams, giving the Mets a cheap later-season starter and/or trade chit.
Mike Puma’s column notes that the Mets will likely take the same non-tender/re-sign tack with center fielder Andres Torres. Also: if the Red Sox make Jarrod Saltalamacchia available in a trade, Sandy Alderson would be interested.
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 63
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 62
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 42
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)