The Rangers are interested in Russell Martin

Nov 12, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT

Buster says:

Worth noting that for all of these catchers playing musical chairs, the Braves still have no catcher at all for Opening Day 2013, having lost their starter to injury and their backup to free agency.

Anyone have Bruce Benedict’s number?

1. historiophiliac - Nov 12, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Craig, are you saying the Rangers want to kick Russell Martin’s tires and the Braves sure need a dancing partner?

2. stex52 - Nov 12, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Definitely better defense, but a pretty substantial offensive loss. If they are also losing Hamilton, are the Rangers going to need to reload on offense? How much do they figure to save switching to Martin?

3. deathmonkey41 - Nov 12, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Instead of spending all that money in FA, the Rangers should probably trade some starting pitching to get Francisco Cervelli!

• vallewho - Nov 12, 2012 at 3:17 PM

I always liked Cervelli and often wondered why he did not get more playing time with the NY (he did an great job when he was forced to step up for an extended period of time a couple of years back). And he got the royal shaft last year (minors 98% of the year). The big downside is that he might be a concussion away from being forced out for good (if I remember correctly). I say someone should put this guy on the field!

• anxovies - Nov 13, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Concussions and Chris Stewart is better defensively and wasn’t bad at the bat last year. Also, Cervelli did not do well at AAA.

• vallewho - Nov 13, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Chris Stewart is very serviceable and did a good job, but I did not get the impression of great defensive prowess by watching him this year. Anyway I found it ironic that the Yankees have been trying to lower the payroll and get younger, yet they snuffed out a guy who fits the bill during the last day of Spring training.

4. crisisjunky - Nov 12, 2012 at 2:41 PM

What happened to the Arencibia rumors?

• proudlycanadian - Nov 12, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Got any starting pitchers available to trade. The Jays want a decent starting pitcher.

• crisisjunky - Nov 12, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Braves are you’re Huckleberry.
        Delgado, Teheran, Jurrjens, Gilmartin, Spruill, @nauseum.

• crisisjunky - Nov 12, 2012 at 3:44 PM

usual suspects were mongering him to Tex. last week or so….

5. yankeepunk3000 - Nov 13, 2012 at 3:48 AM

when I read it was about the braves I know its Craig writing it…does he choose to write about them or do they give it to him knowing its his babyboo team

6. opiedamus - Nov 13, 2012 at 8:07 AM

“Anyone have Bruce Benedict’s number?” – I had that douches “number.” Single worst basketball referee EVER. I asked him once, during a free throw, how it felt for his weight to be higher than his career batting average. After I made my free throw, he gave me a technical. Such a douche, guess he was sensitive about his weight. I also told him: “if you called MLB games like you’re calling this one, than no wonder you’re not allowed to play baseball anymore…” Yup, he “T’d” me up again.

Saying that, tune into the SEC hoops or NCAA tournament and he’ll be on your screen…..and, no, he hasn’t gotten much better. Referee union must be similar to our gov’t…..no merit system.

Can Nationals run the playoff table?
  1. D. Jeter (3393)