Tigers, Rangers interested in Torii Hunter

Nov 12, 2012, 12:31 PM EDT

This may explain why he's hitting .218 Getty Images

Everyone wants Torii Hunter, it seems. Danny Knobler reports that the Tigers are “very interested,” however:

The Tigers, who just played in the World Series, are very interested in Hunter, according to sources. The Rangers, who played in the two World Series before that, are interested, too.

Knobler says that Hunter wants to sign quickly and that his top goal is winning a World Series.  Both Detroit and Texas would be good candidates for that.

1. historiophiliac - Nov 12, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Come to the D!!!!!!

• MotorCitySteel - Nov 12, 2012 at 12:59 PM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! The Tigers are working on trying to trade for Justin Upton. Isn’t a 25 year old at a smaller contract better? No room for both….Victor will be the DH and we need to save room for Berry.

• historiophiliac - Nov 12, 2012 at 1:13 PM

You must be freaking kidding to try to keep Berry a spot over either. Hunter’s numbers are better and they won’t have to commit to him long term. They are trying to win a Series here — not down the line but in 2013 (or 2012 :( ) I’m not against Upton but I think Hunter’s a great fit for an immediate team.

• rodtorfelson - Nov 12, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Torii Hunter is perfect fit for the Tigers, signing him will only take cash. Obtaining Upton would cost what remains of the Tigers’ best prospects, likely some combination of Castellanos, Garcia and Smyly to start, if not all. By the time Hunter’s contract is over, hopefully Castellanos and/or Garcia will be ready to take over.

The fact Berry had a major platoon role despite his vast limitations as a player shows what a train wreck corner OF was for the Tigers in 2012. If Berry has any role on the 2013 Tigers, then their off season will have been a failure.

• MotorCitySteel - Nov 12, 2012 at 3:45 PM

I would rather have Upton in a trade. Not saying Berry over Hunter, but reminding that he adds a dimension that Tori did when he was young. Who is to say Tori at his age will perform at a high level his contract will demand. I would want Tori 5 years ago, not a old shell of himself. BJ or Justin Upton what better for the future. Don’t be surprised Tori wants top dollar and a 3-4 year contract.

2. pw38 - Nov 12, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Well Torii has the local connections here but I doubt Texas will seriously pursue him. I’d expect a good offer but nothing that will be overwhelming.

3. lionsplayoffs - Nov 12, 2012 at 3:16 PM

I’d rather have Josh Hamilton in Detroit but Hunter is pretty good. If we’re going to overpay, let’s overpay for another masher.

• MotorCitySteel - Nov 12, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Hamilton and Hunter haven’t played a full season in years. Ryan Ludwick cheaper and ton of upside. But people on here like the big name guys and not baseball players, so I’m sure I will get killed for mentioning him. Steven Drew over Peralta would be nice too. The were trying to trade for him at the deadline.

4. legacybroken - Nov 12, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Hunter would be a great fit for the Tigers. And just no to Upton.

• MotorCitySteel - Nov 12, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Why is he a great fit? Are you looking at his past numbers? Is he a lead off hitter? Can he steal bases still, infield hits? This team needs some speed. I wish they would address this. I love my Tigers and I know they will add the right pieces to make it back to the WS.

5. hep3 - Nov 12, 2012 at 4:11 PM

After watching Hunter hit second most of this year, his best play is the ground out to third with Trout on second base and nobody out. He has really lost range in rightfield, too. I don’t think the Angels will miss him for a moment.

Numbers wise, it looked like Hunter had a great year. However, watching his year was kind of empty.

6. hardballtalkusername - Nov 12, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Rangers front office: “Wait a former Angel is available” (GM erection forms at this realization)

• MotorCitySteel - Nov 12, 2012 at 10:03 PM

hilarious! Wasn’t expecting that!

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win