Marlins might unload right-hander Ricky Nolasco next

Nov 13, 2012, 9:21 PM EDT

ricky nolasco getty Getty Images

The big firesale in Miami might not be finished.

Two different baseball executives told Joel Sherman of the New York Post on Tuesday night that right-handed starter Ricky Nolasco will be “next to go” as the Marlins’ front office looks to unload any player making — or in line to make — a decent wage.

Nolasco has an underwhelming 4.58 ERA and 1.38 WHIP in 64 starts since the beginning of the 2011 campaign, but he has averaged 190 innings per season since 2008. That durability could pique the interest of a team in need of rotation depth.

The 29-year-old from Corona, California is owed $11.5 million in 2013 and is scheduled to hit the free agent market after that. If the Fish are willing to eat a couple million, Nolasco could go pretty fast.

1. 1972wasalongtimeago - Nov 13, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Over/Under attendance opening day? 5,000

• dondada10 - Nov 13, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Under.

• Old Gator - Nov 13, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Abyssal volcanic vent, under.

• kkolchak - Nov 13, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Depends…are you counting the farcical tickets “sold” number that MLB uses or actual fannies in the seats? Cause if it is the latter I’d go under…2,500.

2. proudlycanadian - Nov 13, 2012 at 9:38 PM

With that recent record, I can see why the Jays did not want him.

• deathmonkey41 - Nov 14, 2012 at 11:15 AM

If he didn’t pitch well in the NL East, I’m thinking he probably wouldn’t fare much better in the AL East.

3. simon94022 - Nov 13, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Why don’t the Marlins do us all a favor and unload those tacky uniforms and logo?

They dress like a beer league team, and now they’ll be paid like one, too.

4. indaburg - Nov 13, 2012 at 10:01 PM

How much for the Marlins’ outfield monstrosity? I want to drive my neighbor insane.

• Tomas - Nov 13, 2012 at 10:32 PM

If you have a sort of middling garden gnome that’s cheap on maintenance I’d think Loria would do a one for one swap.

• Old Gator - Nov 13, 2012 at 11:33 PM

Leave Tommy alone!

• contraryguy - Nov 14, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Twitter may have the answer on that one:

@TrippingOlney :

SOURCE CONFIRMS HOME RUN THINGY IS INVOLVED IN DEAL. WILL BE REENGINEERED TO SPEW MAPLE SYRUP AFTER BLUE JAY HOMERS.

• indaburg - Nov 14, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Damn, those Jays are thorough.

5. chill1184 - Nov 13, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Doesnt anyone remember a recent offseason that was packed with so much lulz this early?

6. frank433 - Nov 13, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Are the Marlins the anti-Dodgers, or are the Dodgers the anti-Marlins?

• chill1184 - Nov 13, 2012 at 10:23 PM

This is an interesting question. However I feel that to top this, the Dodgers would have to buy the Blue Jays.

• mazblast - Nov 13, 2012 at 10:32 PM

7. makaylasdaddy0906 - Nov 13, 2012 at 11:08 PM

His stat line isn’t overly impressive but I feel with the uncertainty in the orioles rotation he would be a solid back end starter if they would eat a lot of his contract. With a complete rotation of Chen bundy Saunders Gonzales and add Ricky with the reserves we have it could be a very solid rotation for the most part

• Charles Gates - Nov 14, 2012 at 2:49 AM

Hammel

8. Walk - Nov 13, 2012 at 11:20 PM

I am feeling really poorly now for the marlins fans. Hopefully old gator and the rest can keep the faith. Some of those prospects do not look bad, but what exactly is going on? Were the marlins just not adding salary to build a team? Are they rebuilding now? This whole plan of rebuild one year, go all in next, then repeat is not gonna work. I know loria is making money keeping a small payroll and getting his luxury tax share but this has to be killing the fans and hurting baseball, this has to stop.

• Old Gator - Nov 13, 2012 at 11:34 PM

It’s no big deal. I can always watch Jays-Tigers games and pretend I’m watching a spring training game between Feesh intramural squads.

• historiophiliac - Nov 13, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Damn, now it’s not just Detroit Feesh. There’s Toronto Feesh too. Of course, we know who got the best Feesh…and it has not been tainted by seal blubber either.

My condolences, Gator.

• henryd3rd - Nov 14, 2012 at 5:46 AM

I told you last year that no way no how was I going to go inside that stadium. I felt they lied and deceived us when they built that place and why were we to believe that they would lie to us again. Proof is in the pudding.

Don’t Loria/Sampson and Co. have a pending Federal investigation into their stadium financing? Folks shouldn’t be too surprised at these developments.

Where’s Wayne Huizenga when we need someone to trust?

9. hermitfool - Nov 13, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Even if Stanton leaves, there’s still the Bobblehead museum.

10. kcrobert10 - Nov 14, 2012 at 12:07 AM

I would like the Royals to do a deal for nolasco and given there recent moves we might be able to get this done for say mike Montgomery or dyer. I do feel sorry for marlins fans with a market that big and new stadium u deserve better and I thought Mr glass was bad boy was I wrong.

11. missingdiz - Nov 14, 2012 at 12:14 AM

11.5 million for a 4.58 ERA? 11.5 million just to eat innings? I’ll admit I’m from a different time, but I feel like I’m from a different planet. I’m thinking about Buffalo Springfield: “There’s something happening here, what it is ain’t exactly clear.” 11.5 million for a 4.58 ERA? I’ve worked all my life and I’m doing OK, but I’d have to work another 5-7 lifetimes to make 11.5 million. And I like to think I do more than eat innings.

Babe Ruth justified earning more than the President of the US because he’d had a better year. Well, he did have, but good grief, Ricky Nolasco is not 1/10th the pitcher Ruth was. And, I don’t want to get into politics, but does anybody think that Ricky Nolasco is worth almost 30 presidents?

12. yankeepunk3000 - Nov 14, 2012 at 12:38 AM

miss..diz…I agree with you completly…11.5 mil for an “Innings eater” it just dorsnt make sense…baseball is a sick world to watch just a bunch of millionaires playing ball

• Charles Gates - Nov 14, 2012 at 2:52 AM

The thing about innings eaters is that they’re never really that bad of pitchers or they’d never be given the chance to eat innings.

13. vicksprman - Nov 14, 2012 at 8:04 AM

He can be had for a bag of balls and some pine tar to be sold later for 11.5 million. Geez

14. chadjones27 - Nov 14, 2012 at 8:38 AM

I was going to take an east coast stadium tour next summer, catching a ball game at as many stadiums as I could. It may sound stupid, since my 1 ticket isn’t going to make-or-break the situation… but I don’t think I’m stepping inside that stadium now.

15. uyf1950 - Nov 14, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Any guesses on how long it will be before the Red Sox are “linked” to Nolasco.

16. Clark Street Sports - Nov 14, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Ricky Nolasco is still a quality pitcher and with him only having one year remaining on his contract, I’d be shocked if he wasn’t traded by the conclusion of the Baseball Winter Meetings. The only two upper level Pitchers left on the Free Agent Market (with Jake Peavy resigning with the Chicago White Sox) are former Cy-Young Winner Zach Greinke and Anibal Sanchez. With Anibal Sanchez most likely leaving Detroit (after they signed Torri Hunter today), I’d be surprised if Detroit didn’t look to trade one (or more) of their young outfielders (Quintin Berry, Brennan Boesch, and/or Andy Dirks) for Nolasco. The Tigers already have a full outfield in Hunter, Austin Jackson, and Avisail Garcia so they’ll most likely trade one or more of their outfielders in the near future.

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (3009)