Nov 13, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
Oakland general manager Billy Beane said last month that the A’s are unlikely to re-sign Jonny Gomes and now Eduardo Encina of the Baltimore Sun reports that the free agent is drawing interest from the Orioles.
Gomes is overmatched as an everyday player because he’s poor defensively in the outfield and has a long history of struggling against right-handed pitching, but he’s always crushed left-handed pitching and the Orioles could use help in that department.
Gomes was a bargain for the A’s this year, hitting .262 with 18 homers and an .868 OPS in 99 games while earning just $1 million, and he’s a career .284 hitter with an .894 OPS versus lefties. As a lefty-mashing designated hitter he’s basically a perfect role player.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (135)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)