Nov 13, 2012, 8:50 AM EDT
Flexibility and a shallow third and first base free agent market are helping Youkilis, it would seem. Because on the merits he is not a great free agent candidate. Morosi notes his improvement after leaving for Boston, but it wasn’t dramatic improvement. He hit .236/.346/.425 in 80 games for the White Sox. He hit .235/.336/.409 in 438 at-bats overall. And he gets hurt a lot.
I sort of fee like a best case for him in 2013 is to get signed by a non-contender, have a nice couple of rebound months and then get shipped to a contender as a super-sub/bench bat kind of guy. But maybe that’s just be being bored in November and making up story lines.
- Wrigley Field — the most human park in baseball — turns 100-years-old 4
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 52
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 39
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 48
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 105