Nov 13, 2012, 8:50 AM EST
Flexibility and a shallow third and first base free agent market are helping Youkilis, it would seem. Because on the merits he is not a great free agent candidate. Morosi notes his improvement after leaving for Boston, but it wasn’t dramatic improvement. He hit .236/.346/.425 in 80 games for the White Sox. He hit .235/.336/.409 in 438 at-bats overall. And he gets hurt a lot.
I sort of fee like a best case for him in 2013 is to get signed by a non-contender, have a nice couple of rebound months and then get shipped to a contender as a super-sub/bench bat kind of guy. But maybe that’s just be being bored in November and making up story lines.
- Where does Nelson Cruz go from here? 38
- Shin-Soo Choo agrees to seven-year, $130 million deal with Rangers 84
- Grant Balfour may file a grievance over Orioles’ decision to back out of contract 23
- Former Major Leaguer Gabe Kapler wants collisions to remain part of the game 44
- Carlos Beltran introduced by the Yankees, takes a shot at the Mets 42
- Hall of Fame voting expert: Greg Maddux makes it. No one else does. (105)
- I don’t know what the best baseball song is, but it ain’t John freakin’ Fogerty (102)
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! (89)
- Shin-Soo Choo agrees to seven-year, $130 million deal with Rangers (84)
- ‘Tis the season for people acting incredibly dumb (74)