Shin-Soo Choo to miss the World Baseball Classic

Nov 13, 2012, 8:20 AM EDT

shin-soo choo getty Getty Images

It’s been a while since I thought a lot about the World Baseball Classic, so my judgment as to what constitutes important news vis-a-vis the World Baseball Classic is a little off. I’m going to guess, though, that Shin-Soo Choo not playing in it is relatively notable:

Choo’s agent, Scott Boras, said in a recent interview that the 30-year-old instead will focus his efforts on preparing for the 2013 regular season — his final one before becoming a free agent. Choo also may need to adjust to a new team during spring training, since it’s possible the Cleveland Indians will trade him between now and then.

Understandable, but that’s tough stuff for Korea, which lost in the finals in 2009 and made the semis in 2006. The next notable big league player from Korea – Ryu Hyun-Jin — is also a Boras client and will also be skipping the WBC as he adjusts to a new scene.

1. historiophiliac - Nov 13, 2012 at 9:12 AM

Can we just do a sign up sheet? The individual “noes” take up too much time.

2. Old Gator - Nov 13, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Gezundheit.

• stlouis1baseball - Nov 13, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Gator:
      What the hell happened between you and Paper?
      I was reading the article about the Pirates scout leaving and…wow. Name calling.
      If you guys were just ribbing one another it was certainly lost on me.
      Just curious because it caught me by surprise.

3. Lukehart80 - Nov 13, 2012 at 11:07 AM

The WBC seems to have already lost much of whatever appeal it originally held for many top players. I wonder how many more times we’ll see it…

4. onbucky96 - Nov 13, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Focus on the season…sounds like I can’t make money off him if he’s hurt. Drop Dead Snotty Boras. Have you taken my advice and started to represent Soccer Players or Nascar Drivers? At least then you can pimp your whorish players and America won’t have to listen to you. Hey, do the Marlins care about winning? Remember you put the Indians on blast 2 days ago, time to repeat or repent.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet