Nov 13, 2012, 9:47 AM EST
Back in 2007, the Atlanta Braves made one of the worst trades in living memory, shipping Elvis Andrus, Neftali Feliz, Matt Harrison and Jarrod Saltalamacchia to the Texas Rangers for Mark Teixeira and Ron Mahay. It would have been bad enough if only half of that load of talent went to Texas for the rent-a-Teixeira, but overall it was disastrous.
So you can imagine the chutzpah involved on the part of the Rangers in asking the Braves, once again, to ship them a stud shortstop prospect. This time, however, they did not bite:
Rangers wanted Upton enough that they tried to trade Olt for ATL’s Simmons (who AZ wants). Braves wouldn’t do it, tho.
— DKnobler (@DKnobler) November 12, 2012
Olt is a good prospect, but Simmons is a year younger, is a plus-defender at short and has given the Braves a decent indication that he’ll be able to handle major league pitching. You simply don’t trade that away to a team that has already fleeced you in the past in exchange for a corner guy.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 293
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)