Nov 13, 2012, 9:47 AM EDT
Back in 2007, the Atlanta Braves made one of the worst trades in living memory, shipping Elvis Andrus, Neftali Feliz, Matt Harrison and Jarrod Saltalamacchia to the Texas Rangers for Mark Teixeira and Ron Mahay. It would have been bad enough if only half of that load of talent went to Texas for the rent-a-Teixeira, but overall it was disastrous.
So you can imagine the chutzpah involved on the part of the Rangers in asking the Braves, once again, to ship them a stud shortstop prospect. This time, however, they did not bite:
Rangers wanted Upton enough that they tried to trade Olt for ATL’s Simmons (who AZ wants). Braves wouldn’t do it, tho.
— DKnobler (@DKnobler) November 12, 2012
Olt is a good prospect, but Simmons is a year younger, is a plus-defender at short and has given the Braves a decent indication that he’ll be able to handle major league pitching. You simply don’t trade that away to a team that has already fleeced you in the past in exchange for a corner guy.
- J.A. Happ is thriving with the Pirates 0
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 44
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 68
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 57
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 59
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 149
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (150)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)