Nov 13, 2012, 9:47 AM EDT
Back in 2007, the Atlanta Braves made one of the worst trades in living memory, shipping Elvis Andrus, Neftali Feliz, Matt Harrison and Jarrod Saltalamacchia to the Texas Rangers for Mark Teixeira and Ron Mahay. It would have been bad enough if only half of that load of talent went to Texas for the rent-a-Teixeira, but overall it was disastrous.
So you can imagine the chutzpah involved on the part of the Rangers in asking the Braves, once again, to ship them a stud shortstop prospect. This time, however, they did not bite:
Rangers wanted Upton enough that they tried to trade Olt for ATL’s Simmons (who AZ wants). Braves wouldn’t do it, tho.
— DKnobler (@DKnobler) November 12, 2012
Olt is a good prospect, but Simmons is a year younger, is a plus-defender at short and has given the Braves a decent indication that he’ll be able to handle major league pitching. You simply don’t trade that away to a team that has already fleeced you in the past in exchange for a corner guy.
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (104)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)