Nov 13, 2012, 5:30 PM EDT
Troy Renck of the Denver Post talked to Giambi about why he decided against retiring as a player to begin a coaching career and the former MVP said “the timing wasn’t right” and first-year manager Walt Weiss having to work on a one-year contract played a part:
I really thought about it and if Walt had gotten more than a year on his contract maybe it would have been different. But I felt that he needed to get a foothold and have total focus and commitment from the guys. He really deserves it. If the team doesn’t start out the way they want, and I am in the background looming, it could be a PR nightmare. I am not that kind of human being.
That’s interesting, especially since Giambi has made it clear that he definitely wants to coach at some point and, at age 41, he’s nearing the end of the line as a player even if it sounds like he’ll be able to find a part-time/bench gig for 2013.
In giving Weiss a one-year deal the Rockies insisted that it was a non-story and didn’t represent a lack of commitment to someone with no professional coaching or managing experience, but it’s hard not to connect those dots and now the lack of a multi-year deal has had other ramifications.
All of which made me wonder about this scenario: What if Weiss does poorly in his first year and the Rockies decide to go in another direction after the season. Would they turn to Giambi, who interviewed for the manager job before Weiss was hired? And if so, would Giambi accept the job or would his aforementioned respect for Weiss keep him from doing so?
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (151)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)