Nov 14, 2012, 9:34 PM EDT
Braves right-hander Brandon Beachy is nearly five months removed from Tommy John elbow surgery. And everything has gone according to plan so far.
According to MLB.com’s Mark Bowman, Beachy is playing catch regularly from a distance of 90 feet without experiencing any sort of lingering pain or discomfort in his right elbow and is aiming to return to the Atlanta starting rotation near the middle of June. We’d probably bet on early-to-mid July, but you can’t fault the 26-year-old for being optimistic.
Beachy had a league-leading 2.00 ERA and 0.96 WHIP through 81 innings in 2012 when he blew out his elbow during an interleague game with the Orioles. He’ll be a nice midseason addition for the 2013 Braves.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 1
- The Lester trade is a win-win 72
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 138
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 90
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (118)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)