Brandon McCarthy cleared for “normal baseball activities”

Nov 14, 2012, 5:20 PM EDT

Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle passes along some very good news about free agent right-hander Brandon McCarthy‘s recovery from brain surgery:

And now McCarthy can focus on finding a multi-year contract as one of the most appealing middle-of-the-rotation starters on the market.

1. proudlycanadian - Nov 14, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Great news. Hope he is well paid by someone. That leaves out the Marlins of course.

• cur68 - Nov 14, 2012 at 5:36 PM

I’ll only have to stop hating him if he winds up in Toronto, right? I mean, now that Mr. Tall, Funny, Good Looking, MLB Player-Millionaire-With-The-Hot-Wife is all back to normal, its ok to hate him again, right? Right. I hope tour hair falls out, McCarthy.

• APBA Guy - Nov 14, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Pretty funny Cur. Must be getting cold in the igloo (70 and sunny here in NorCal).

Here’s something that will fuel your irrational hatred:

Try to take some solace in the vastly improved Beaver Men’s prospects for next year, and know how unlikely it is that the A’s will re-sign McCarthy.

• cur68 - Nov 14, 2012 at 6:41 PM

My Boys need one more pitcher I think. If it has to Brandon “My Life Is Perfect” McCarthy then it has to be. I will not to pretend to like him, though. May acne cross his perfect countenance.

2. willcoop62 - Nov 14, 2012 at 5:52 PM

So after all that looking they found nothing!

3. Liam - Nov 14, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Hardly on topic, but a question I’ve always had, if a player is a free agent and needs some sort of baseball related healthcare, does it come out of pocket, is there a union fund, is his last team responsible? Some fourth option? I know this doesn’t really apply to McCarthy, since it is obvious that a workplace incident caused it and despite my lack of lawyer credentials I am pretty sure the A’s insurance provider is on the hook. What if it’s a less clear situation like a free agent pitcher needing TJS where you can’t point to one incident that caused it? Anyone know?

4. cameltoehoe - Nov 14, 2012 at 8:13 PM

I’d love to be in a three-way with him & his wifey!

Don't count out the Yankees just yet
  1. R. Castillo (4703)