Brian Fuentes announces retirement

Nov 14, 2012, 8:29 PM EST

brian fuentes getty Getty Images

Veteran left-hander Brian Fuentes was placed on the restricted list by the Cardinals in mid-August for undisclosed personal reasons and did not return to St. Louis. Now Fuentes is calling it quits for good.

According to Sean Lynch of the Merced Sun-Star, the 37-year-old reliever has retired from baseball, officially ending a 12-year major league career.

“Ultimately, I was just having trouble with the time away from my family,” explained Fuentes. “I’ve been playing baseball for all of their lives, but I’d never been so far away as when I was in St. Louis. I think at one point I went like two months without seeing them. Coming home and being able to put them to bed at night made me realize what I was missing. … Ultimately you start thinking about what you’re playing for.”

Fuentes will finish up having posted a 3.62 ERA and a 1.26 WHIP in 613 1/3 career innings. He totaled 204 saves while making stops in Seattle, Colorado, Anaheim, Minnesota, Oakland and ultimately St. Louis.

1. sknut - Nov 14, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Enjoy retirement Brian you earned it. While his time on Twins was short I enjoyed it.

2. hcf95688 - Nov 14, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Best wishes.

3. 78mu - Nov 14, 2012 at 9:26 PM

How will Cardinal fans remember the Brian Fuentes era? We could have used a good left-handed specialist with Scrabble’s struggles this year.

4. IdahoMariner - Nov 14, 2012 at 9:27 PM

good for him for knowing how he wants to spend his time and being able to do it. his kids are lucky to have a dad who can realize he probably has enough cash, bu not enough time left to watch them grow up.

5. IdahoMariner - Nov 14, 2012 at 9:27 PM

good for him for knowing how he wants to spend his time and being able to do it. his kids are lucky to have a dad who can realize he probably has enough cash, but not enough time left to watch them grow up.

6. drsodrel - Nov 14, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Professional paper airplane throwing will never be the same.

7. packerpride03 - Nov 14, 2012 at 11:13 PM

As a angel fan I only remember the blown saves and a rod taking him deep in the ALCS

8. stlouis1baseball - Nov 15, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Congratulations on the retirement Fuentes.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4703)