Nov 14, 2012, 4:44 PM EST
PED conversations around here usually devolve into some argument about whether they really work or not. Whether they can turn a middling baseball player into a great one or a borderline player into something middling.
One man did a little experiment on himself that is definitely worth a read:
I was curious — considering the number of people who say that steroids and other PEDs aren’t really that big of a deal and might not effect performance all that much — how much of an effect can drugs have on peak athletic performance? These drugs are pretty widely available so I wondered what would happen if an average person, let alone a professional athlete, started taking a substance banned by the MLB and the US Anti-Doping Agency.
He became a human guinea pig. No, it doesn’t seem like he used a syringe, but I like this pic anyway.
Click through for the results. Pretty interesting stuff.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 76
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)