Nov 14, 2012, 1:18 PM EDT
Joe Frisaro of MLB.com says no, or at least he talked to a Marlins source who says the team has no intention of trading Stanton.
Stanton isn’t even arbitration eligible yet and can’t become a free agent until after 2016, so while Frisaro reports that the two sides haven’t talked about a long-term extension–and presumably Stanton wouldn’t be very keen on the idea if approached now–there’s little motivation for the Marlins to move him anytime soon.
Of course, a month ago the Marlins’ decision-makers were insisting there wouldn’t be a firesale this offseason and look where that got us. At this point Stanton probably hopes they’re being less than truthful about his status too.
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 44
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 74
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 26
- 2014 Preview: Kansas City Royals 21
- Kris Medlen expects to have another Tommy John surgery 13
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (102)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (98)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)