Nov 14, 2012, 1:18 PM EDT
Joe Frisaro of MLB.com says no, or at least he talked to a Marlins source who says the team has no intention of trading Stanton.
Stanton isn’t even arbitration eligible yet and can’t become a free agent until after 2016, so while Frisaro reports that the two sides haven’t talked about a long-term extension–and presumably Stanton wouldn’t be very keen on the idea if approached now–there’s little motivation for the Marlins to move him anytime soon.
Of course, a month ago the Marlins’ decision-makers were insisting there wouldn’t be a firesale this offseason and look where that got us. At this point Stanton probably hopes they’re being less than truthful about his status too.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 26
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 41
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 84
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)