Nov 14, 2012, 1:18 PM EDT
Joe Frisaro of MLB.com says no, or at least he talked to a Marlins source who says the team has no intention of trading Stanton.
Stanton isn’t even arbitration eligible yet and can’t become a free agent until after 2016, so while Frisaro reports that the two sides haven’t talked about a long-term extension–and presumably Stanton wouldn’t be very keen on the idea if approached now–there’s little motivation for the Marlins to move him anytime soon.
Of course, a month ago the Marlins’ decision-makers were insisting there wouldn’t be a firesale this offseason and look where that got us. At this point Stanton probably hopes they’re being less than truthful about his status too.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 33
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 31
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 45
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 105
- The MLBPA is serious about investigating leaks to reporters regarding Stephen Drew, Kendrys Morales 32