Nov 14, 2012, 3:00 PM EDT
Mike Cameron does not have some official standing to speak on behalf of Marlins fans or anything. But he did end his career in a Marlins uniform, and was able, for a little while, to see the workings of that place. Based on this interview he gave to Maureen Mullen of CSNNewEngland.com, those workings are pretty ugly.
He goes on about how no free agent who has a choice of teams will ever play for the Marlins given the lack of stability there, and says this about the overall situation:
“It just kind of pissed me off the way they’re doing things and baseball is kind of allowing it. That’s ridiculous. Basically, they lied to the people, they lied to everybody. You get a new stadium and then this happens? That’s not good for baseball.”
I think those are the two salient points here: (1) the lying to people about the team’s direction against the backdrop of the stadium deal and their claim that a ballpark would make it all better; and (2) baseball doing absolutely nothing about it.
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 15
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59