R.A. Dickey wins Cy Young Award in the National League

Nov 14, 2012, 7:01 PM EDT

r.a. dickey getty Getty Images

“There are people in and around the baseball world who give the knuckleball a bit of a knock,” MLB network analyst Dan Plesac said at the start of Wednesday night’s Cy Young Awards Show.

Apparently those people are not well represented in the Baseball Writers Association of America.

Mets right-hander R.A. Dickey was named the Cy Young Award winner in the National League, easily beating out the Dodgers’ Clayton Kershaw and Gio Gonzalez of the Nationals in the BBWAA balloting.

Dickey got 27 of the 32 first-place votes, becoming the first knuckleballer in major league history to capture Cy Young Award honors. Kershaw got two first-place votes and Gonzalez got one. Reds ace Johnny Cueto was also given a first-place vote, as was Braves closer Craig Kimbrel.

Dickey led the National League in innings pitched (233 2/3) and strikeouts (230) while finishing the season with a 2.73 ERA and 1.05 WHIP. The 38-year-old threw consecutive one-hitters in June.

“I’m beside myself,” he told MLB Network via satellite after his name was announced. “Clayton and Gio are both supernatural. They give everybody fits. This is an honor to be shared. My hopes always outweighed my doubts.”

1. btwicey - Nov 15, 2012 at 5:44 AM

If a RP (kimb, chap etc) who throws 50-65 innings a year ever wins the Cy I will never give a crap about bball awards ever again.

• purnellmeagrejr - Nov 15, 2012 at 8:04 AM

so what? I’m happpy for R.A.; he is as real a a hockey player.

• danandcasey - Nov 15, 2012 at 8:13 AM

So – Bedrosian’s 89 IPs, Davis’s 92 IPs, Gagne’s 82 IPs, and Eckersley’s 80 IPs were enough for you – but 50-65 IPs (or Chapman’s 71 IPs) are not enough?

Personally, I am not a fan of a closer getting the Cy Young unless his performance is so over the top that it must be recognized. But – it has already happened — Chapman or Kimbrel would not be the first.

2. hushbrother - Nov 15, 2012 at 9:34 AM

I hope Dickey’s success continues for years because he is fun to watch.

3. kev86 - Nov 19, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Great award won by RA Dickey and the New York Mets.

Yanks, Cards and Reds hit with injury bug