Nov 14, 2012, 6:03 PM EDT
The Red Sox were negotiating with the Marlins on a deal that would have sent Jose Reyes and Josh Johnson to Boston before the Jays pulled off the trade that also netted them Mark Buehrle, Emilio Bonifacio and John Buck.
Red Sox owner John Henry told Jon Heyman of CBS Sports that even though the sides were talking, he had no idea “the whole team was available.”
Acquiring Reyes and Johnson would have been a return to old form for a Boston team that traded Adrian Gonzalez, Carl Crawford and Josh Beckett to the Dodgers in August. It would have added about $24 million to the team’s 2013 payroll, minus any major leaguers that went to Miami in return.
The Red Sox, though, were probably looking at it as though the Marlins would be open to a straight salary dump. The Blue Jays not only took Buehrle’s contract along with the other two, but they sent back three quality prospects in return.
Boston GM Ben Cherington might not be done with the Marlins just yet, though. The Red Sox would be smart to explore a Logan Morrison trade with first base open. They should also be prepared to blow up the minor league system for Giancarlo Stanton if the Marlins have a change of heart and make him available. Finally, they’re one of the teams that could consider Ricky Nolasco and his soon-to-be traded $11.5 million contract, though it seems doubtful they’ll be very aggressive there.
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 4
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 59
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 110
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 78
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 76
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (110)