Nov 14, 2012, 6:03 PM EDT
The Red Sox were negotiating with the Marlins on a deal that would have sent Jose Reyes and Josh Johnson to Boston before the Jays pulled off the trade that also netted them Mark Buehrle, Emilio Bonifacio and John Buck.
Red Sox owner John Henry told Jon Heyman of CBS Sports that even though the sides were talking, he had no idea “the whole team was available.”
Acquiring Reyes and Johnson would have been a return to old form for a Boston team that traded Adrian Gonzalez, Carl Crawford and Josh Beckett to the Dodgers in August. It would have added about $24 million to the team’s 2013 payroll, minus any major leaguers that went to Miami in return.
The Red Sox, though, were probably looking at it as though the Marlins would be open to a straight salary dump. The Blue Jays not only took Buehrle’s contract along with the other two, but they sent back three quality prospects in return.
Boston GM Ben Cherington might not be done with the Marlins just yet, though. The Red Sox would be smart to explore a Logan Morrison trade with first base open. They should also be prepared to blow up the minor league system for Giancarlo Stanton if the Marlins have a change of heart and make him available. Finally, they’re one of the teams that could consider Ricky Nolasco and his soon-to-be traded $11.5 million contract, though it seems doubtful they’ll be very aggressive there.
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 0
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 53
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 63
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 33
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)