The Blue Jays contacted Bobby Cox for their managerial opening

Nov 14, 2012, 8:50 AM EDT

Bobby Cox cigar

It doesn’t sound like it was formal, and it seems like it was something far short of an offer, but Jon Paul Morosi reports that the Toronto Blue Jays contacted Bobby Cox about their managerial opening:

The 71-year-old is probably a longshot to be the Blue Jays’ next manager. But the notion starts to make sense the more one thinks about it — as, I am told, at least one person in the organizational hierarchy has done … After it became apparent that John Farrell would depart as the Blue Jays’ manager last month, a member of the team management — and we have two strong possibilities — reached out to Cox in an effort to gauge his interest in the job, a major league source told FOXSports.com.

Cox said no, but Morosi wonders if, now that the Jays have brought in Jose Reyes and the gang, he might reconsider.

I suppose that’s between Bobby Cox and his god, but from what I observed in the late stages of his time in Atlanta and how he’s behaved publicly since his retirement, he’s quite content being retired.

Still, fun thought. Maybe it’d be a better bet to ask Cito Gaston if he wants a third hurrah at the helm.

1. proudlycanadian - Nov 14, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Fun idea. I am sure that Beaston and Cox had a great chat about the good old days when Cox managed the Jays. The Beast probably asked Cox for his input about potential candidates.

• proudlycanadian - Nov 14, 2012 at 8:59 AM

They probably discussed the merits of Cuban cigars also.

• proudlycanadian - Nov 14, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Both Cox and Beaston smoke cigars. I am sure that when Cox managed in Toronto, he did try Cuban cigars.

2. jaysjunkie - Nov 14, 2012 at 9:58 AM

I’d love to see Cox here, but can’t see him changing his mind after this trade, which still has my head spinning.

3. chaseutley - Nov 14, 2012 at 10:04 AM

They could also reach out to Ozzie Guillen. He’s far younger and is already familiar with half of the team.

4. charlutes - Nov 14, 2012 at 10:10 AM

HERE WE GO BLUE JAYS HERE WE GO! SUCK IT POULIOT!

• stlouis1baseball - Nov 14, 2012 at 3:37 PM

I appreciate your spirit Charlutes.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. G. Springer (3848)