Nov 14, 2012, 8:50 AM EDT
It doesn’t sound like it was formal, and it seems like it was something far short of an offer, but Jon Paul Morosi reports that the Toronto Blue Jays contacted Bobby Cox about their managerial opening:
The 71-year-old is probably a longshot to be the Blue Jays’ next manager. But the notion starts to make sense the more one thinks about it — as, I am told, at least one person in the organizational hierarchy has done … After it became apparent that John Farrell would depart as the Blue Jays’ manager last month, a member of the team management — and we have two strong possibilities — reached out to Cox in an effort to gauge his interest in the job, a major league source told FOXSports.com.
Cox said no, but Morosi wonders if, now that the Jays have brought in Jose Reyes and the gang, he might reconsider.
I suppose that’s between Bobby Cox and his god, but from what I observed in the late stages of his time in Atlanta and how he’s behaved publicly since his retirement, he’s quite content being retired.
Still, fun thought. Maybe it’d be a better bet to ask Cito Gaston if he wants a third hurrah at the helm.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)