The Mets unveil an alternate jersey and it is good

Nov 14, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT

I’m not a big fan of the solid jersey + white or gray pants look, but the Mets unveiled a new alternate jersey today and I like it:

The Mets rocked solid dark blue tops back in the early 80s, so this is not unprecedented.  And it doesn’t have black, which is good.

1. jarathen - Nov 14, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Very nice. In general, baseball uniforms are just getting better and better.

2. Shafer's Dealer - Nov 14, 2012 at 10:43 AM

I don’t care what color I wipe my ass with.. just make it soft.

3. The Dangerous Mabry - Nov 14, 2012 at 10:44 AM

This is a great jersey. The fan outcry to bring back the blue and the orange seems to have gotten somewhere. When CitiField opened, it was black and “burnt orange”, which I guess was an attempt to tune down the orange. Fans like the orange. And the blue for that matter.

The “Los Mets” jersey they’ve been wearing in the past year or so is also fantastic from a style perspective, though I don’t care for the “Los” part. I understand catering to your entire audience, but I think the average spanish speaker can understand “Mets” (sans “Los”) just as well as an english speaker.

Still, kudos to the team for bringing back the blue.

• The Dangerous Mabry - Nov 14, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Here’s the “non-Los” version of that Jersey, which basically represents the home version of the above jersey:

• stlouis1baseball - Nov 14, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Still waiting on the reason for your moniker Mabry. You said you would come clean should John Mabry get the hitting coach position. If you advised…I missed it. If so…I apologize. Now…what gives?

• dondada10 - Nov 14, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Yeah it was a good story.

• umrguy42 - Nov 14, 2012 at 10:15 PM

stlouis, I think he did (something about seeing him in one of Mabry’s first games when the commenter was a teenager, IIRC), but I don’t recall what article it was on.

4. pistonhurricane - Nov 14, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Wow! The Mets have done it right! They will look great in these new jerseys as they certainly will be in a dog fight with the Marlins for last place in the NL East.

• dondada10 - Nov 14, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Is that the Detroit Pistons in your handle? How are they doing this season?

• pistonhurricane - Nov 14, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Nah…. That’s a pretty good burn though…. You can google “Piston Hurricane” or click the link….

5. Uncle Charlie - Nov 14, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Does it say “Will work for food.” on the back?

6. kicksave1980 - Nov 14, 2012 at 1:06 PM

You know, I’ve always hated the Mets, but that’s a pretty sharp jersey. Moving away from black jerseys/caps is a step in the right direction for the Mets.

I do wish MLB would limit the amount of times teams are allowed to wear alternates, though. If you wear it every game (see: San Diego, blue alternate until last year) it isn’t an alternate, it’s the jersey. I also wish that they would only allow one team to wear its alternate in a game. Cincinnati wearing their bright red and Pittsburgh wearing their black doesn’t look like an MLB game, it looks like a softball game.

7. deadeyedesign23 - Nov 14, 2012 at 1:25 PM

I’m surprised it’s not a barrel with shoulder straps.

• mrhojorisin - Nov 14, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Man, I’m a Mets fan, but that is funny.

8. brewcrewfan54 - Nov 14, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Very nice. At least they did something right lately.

9. kappy32 - Nov 14, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Nice, I like it. At least they have a cool jersey even if their team is going to stink, once again.

10. kappy32 - Nov 14, 2012 at 2:46 PM

@ DangerousMarby:

That’s not their alternate home jersey. The jersey you posted the pic of is their BP jersey. They used those this past year; as a matter of fact I bought 2 of them: a David Wright & a personalized one with my own name. I bought them prior to last season. The only difference with the one you posted is the “ASG ’13″ patch on the left sleeve. The only new jersey they have this year is the one posted in the story; it’s a road blue jersey with a grey “New York” outlined in orange across the chest. You just posted their updated, 2013 BP jersey, the same one they used in 2012 minus the ASG patch.

Three legends off to Cooperstown