Nov 14, 2012, 5:05 PM EDT
Bo Porter left the Nationals to become the Astros’ manager and today Washington replaced him on the coaching staff with Tony Tarasco, who formerly served as a minor league outfield instructor.
Tarasco will be the Nationals’ first base coach and Trent Jewett will slide across the diamond to coach third base, officially taking Porter’s spot.
We don’t normally do posts about first base coaches, but a) it’s a slow news day, b) Porter going from Nationals coach to Astros manager sets a precedent for the gig being a good one, and c) Davey Johnson saying he’s going to retire as manager after 2013 means someone on the coaching staff could potentially step into his job.
And of course Tarasco is most famous for being the Orioles outfielder camped under a fly ball that Jeffrey Maier turned into a home run in the 1996 ALDS versus the Yankees. Baltimore’s manager back then? Davey Johnson.
Sep 16, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
Carlos Beltran won last year. Who gets it this year?
Sep 16, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
Levine has been the Rangers’ assistant GM since October of 2005, serving as general manager Jon Daniels’ right-hand man during the most successful period in team history.
Sep 16, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT
The Angels starter pitched well last night, but felt some discomfort at the end of his stint.
Sep 16, 2014, 12:16 PM EDT
He has some time on his hands. At least he’s putting it to good use.
Sep 16, 2014, 11:40 AM EDT
Man, Waffle House. You really missed the boat here. And now we all have to suffer with this boring, corporate name.
Sep 16, 2014, 11:25 AM EDT
One of the few dudes who has been hitting for the Yankees is now on the shelf for the year.
Sep 16, 2014, 11:03 AM EDT
Big Papi took some time yesterday to remind his detractors that, yes, he did deserve that contract extension.
Sep 16, 2014, 10:40 AM EDT
Less than two weeks of this left, you guys.
Must-click Link: the challenges Major League Baseball faces in implementing a domestic violence policy
Sep 16, 2014, 10:10 AM EDT
Ken Rosenthal shows us that the task, however necessary, will not be easy.
Sep 16, 2014, 9:46 AM EDT
To baseball and baseball writers, A-Rod is still Whitey Bulger or Public Enemy Number One. To the cops, he’s just a kid who bought a bag of something.
Sep 16, 2014, 9:16 AM EDT
MLB acts swiftly when someone grabs their crotch. Let’s see how swiftly it acts when a guy goes headhunting.
Sep 16, 2014, 8:55 AM EDT
With this gesture, Jonathan Papelbon made triggering his 2016 option a tad tricker.
Sep 16, 2014, 8:23 AM EDT
I have to imagine that spending seven-plus months in close quarters with Yasiel Puig can get on one’s nerves.
Sep 16, 2014, 1:04 AM EDT
MLB’s best team continues to cruise through September.
Sep 16, 2014, 12:09 AM EDT
Pinch-runners Jarrod Dyson and Terrance Gore proved to be the difference in a thrilling win for Kansas City.
Sep 15, 2014, 11:29 PM EDT
Pujols suffered the injury while running to second base on a three-run double.
Sep 15, 2014, 11:09 PM EDT
Belt has been limited to just five games since July 19 due to concussion symptoms.
Sep 15, 2014, 10:25 PM EDT
Sanchez has been sidelined since early August with a right pectoral strain.
Sep 15, 2014, 9:21 PM EDT
Papelbon made a lewd gesture at fans and had a confrontation with umpire Joe West during Sunday’s game.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 10
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 30
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 33
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)