Nov 14, 2012, 5:42 PM EDT
I’m a lot more sympathetic to the Miami Marlins fans out there than I am to the players who got traded — hey, that’s baseball, even if it’s unexpected in the case of the Marlins-Blue Jays trade. But it’s not as if the players don’t have some amount of hardship here too. JJ Stankevitz of CSNChicago.com flags one:
From a personal standpoint, there’s already one problem with Buehrle being shipped to Toronto … Ontario doesn’t allow pit bulls, and Buehrle and his family own a two-year-old of which they’re fond. There was an easy solution to getting around the Dade County (where Miami is located) ban on pit bulls — move to Broward county, just north of Miami.
I’m sure he’ll figure out what to do with the dog. And the higher tax bracket and all of that. But it is the kind of annoyance that players don’t like to deal with. And don’t think they have to deal with less than a year after signing a long-term deal someplace.
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 30
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 62
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 24
- 2014 Preview: Kansas City Royals 16
- Kris Medlen expects to have another Tommy John surgery 13
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (104)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (102)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (89)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)