B.J. Upton met with the Braves today at Turner Field

Nov 15, 2012, 8:31 PM EDT

B.J. Upton Getty Getty Images

After reaching a two-year contract with backup catcher Gerald Laird earlier today, the Braves are staying busy.

Mark Bowman of MLB.com reports that the Braves hosted free agent outfielder B.J. Upton this afternoon at Turner Field. Both general manager Frank Wren and manager Fredi Gonzalez were on hand for the meeting.

It’s not clear whether a contract offer was made today, but Bowman writes that the Braves appear to regard Upton “as the most attractive outfielder available on the free agent market.” This would seem to indicate that they prefer him over fellow free agent Michael Bourn, who enjoyed a career-year with the Braves in 2012, but is two years older. They should have plenty of competition for Upton, though, as the Phillies, Nationals and Rangers have also been mentioned as possible fits.

Upton, 28, batted .246/.298/.454 with a .752 OPS this season. He has amassed at least 18 home runs and 31 stolen bases in each of the last three seasons.

1. cltjump - Nov 15, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Should I be excited about this? Cause I am.

• greymares - Nov 15, 2012 at 9:32 PM

no, he only stopped to ask directions to Philly

• xmatt0926x - Nov 15, 2012 at 11:00 PM

No. If he’s the best option then that only means he’s the best of a bad lot. I’m a Phillies fan and I’m not excited by them possibly signing either of the two centerfielders. They are both strikeout machines. Bourn makes his living with his legs and will play out this whole contract in his 30’s. Upton’s OBP has dipped badly the last 3 seasons whi;e strikeouts have gone up. I don’t buy the “waiting for his potential”. I’m, sorry. He’s been in the league long enough and has regressed, not improved based on budding potential. Of course if the Phillies sign either one I will be praying that they go crazy and have breakout seasons but I’m just not optimistic.

• cltjump - Nov 16, 2012 at 11:25 AM

This is true. And as much as I’ve loved the Michael Bourn addition over the past two seasons (not too mention his fun adventure in AZ), I just have to consider Upton the better chance of the two. He figures to be cheaper, too. I hope.

2. crazycossack - Nov 15, 2012 at 9:41 PM

you won’t like his occasional brain farts.

3. yankeepunk3000 - Nov 16, 2012 at 1:15 AM

is Craig happy about this? I would like to know!

• protius - Nov 16, 2012 at 6:43 AM

Mr. Calcaterra is in the fetal position in the trunk of my car.

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win