Nov 15, 2012, 3:45 PM EDT
I started writing this post assuming the Cubs had signed catcher Dioner Navarro to a minor-league deal, but now Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports that it’s actually a major-league deal worth $1.75 million.
Navarro is a 28-year-old former All-Star, but not much else about him suggests $1.75 million is a worthwhile investment. He’s hit just .215 with a .594 OPS in 251 games since making that All-Star team in 2008 and spent most of this season at Triple-A.
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 0
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 6
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 52
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)