Cy matchup: R.A. Dickey beat David Price on June 13 to make history

Nov 15, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT

r.a. dickey Getty Images

R.A. Dickey of the Mets and David Price of the Rays are this year’s Cy Young winners and Elias Sports Bureau notes that for the first time in MLB history the award winners faced off during the regular season.

Back on June 13 in Tampa Bay they matched up in a blowout Mets win, as Dickey racked up 12 strikeouts in a complete-game one-hitter and Price got knocked around for seven runs in five innings.

It was one of Dickey’s league-leading five complete games and one of his seven starts with double-digit strikeouts. For Price it was the most runs he allowed in a game all season and one of just five starts in which he failed to complete at least six innings.

Through that game Dickey was 10-1 with a 2.20 ERA in 90 innings and Price was 8-4 with a 3.01 ERA in 84 innings. From that point on Dickey went 10-5 with a 3.07 ERA in 144 innings and Price went 12-1 with a 2.26 ERA in 127 innings.

1. pewterpiratetampabayray - Nov 15, 2012 at 10:55 AM

I was at that game! Thank god for Upton’s chopper to 3rd. Could have easily been called an error. I don’t know if I could have handled another no hitter.

• indaburg - Nov 15, 2012 at 11:02 AM

(shrug) Eh, what’s another no hitter? I was more disappointed by Price’s poor outing.

That was a rough series. The Mets shellacked us.

• richyballgame - Nov 15, 2012 at 2:34 PM

It’s not often the Mets shellack anyone… This coming from a Mets fan.

• chill1184 - Nov 15, 2012 at 11:35 AM

To be honest when I saw that the Rays series was next on the schedule I felt that the Mets were going to get swept. Facing one of the best pitching staffs in the AL was not an uplifting thought after the disastrous series against the Reds. I was shocked how we swept the series and I felt that the Dickey vs Price match up was going to be a bullpen battle.

• indaburg - Nov 15, 2012 at 12:01 PM

I thought the Mets were going to get swept too. I think their season peaked at that point, sadly for them. I loved that team as a kid. Sure, I was pissed about what they did to the Rays, but I was hoping that was a sign that the Mets, despite all logic, might actually be a decent team.

2. pewterpiratetampabayray - Nov 15, 2012 at 10:58 AM

4th paragraph, 1st word….I think you mean Before

3. stex52 - Nov 15, 2012 at 11:15 AM

A little surprised it had never happened before. But, of course, interleague play is still pretty new and they really don’t play that many games against each other.

It wasn’t the game you would have expected. You just know it sounds like it should have been a 2-1 nail-biter.

4. jdd428 - Nov 15, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Correction, courtesy the Dan Patrick Show: Detroit’s Denny McLain and Baltimore’s Mike Cuellar faced each other in the 1969 regular season and went on to share the AL Cy Young Award.

5. Dan the Mets Fan - Nov 15, 2012 at 11:40 AM

That game was pure dominance for Dickey and it was very close to a perfect game. There were two very similar plays to third, one error and one hit, just dribblers. They were tough plays, but I’ve seen David Wright make similar ones in the past. If he had his top fielding mojo that day then Dickey would have had the perfect game. As it was, it was as dominant a pitcher’s performance I’ve seen. Great game.

6. jsmargolis - Nov 15, 2012 at 12:38 PM

On April 27, 1984, Rick Sutcliffe started for the Indians and pitched 9 innings. In the 8th inning, Willie Hernandez relieved Tigers starter Juan Berenguer and pitched into the 10th. Sutcliffe was later traded to the Cubs and won the NL Cy Young. Technically, they did play in the same game at the same time, though they did not face off as starters.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. G. Springer (3842)