Nov 15, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT
It’s not the “Rail Riders” because that doesn’t catch that 21st century vibe of silly, mashed together words to make things old-timey seem all fresh and new. You know, like HardballTalk.
Anyway, it’s the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders. And just because they don’t care what you think, their logo is a giant, angry porcupine on railroad tracks:
The team name was selected after fans suggested over 2,700 different names in a month-long name-the-team contest. The RailRiders moniker pays homage to the very first trolley system in America, one created right here in Northeastern Pennsylvania.
A porcupine conductor, the gritty critter that calls NEPA home, is at the centerpiece of the identity. Fans will enjoy the classic lettering and trolley tracks, combined with various porcupine, conductor and electric marks.
No word if “enjoy the porcupine” is the new team motto. But it should be. I mean, if you’re gonna try this hard to put the minor back in minor leagues, you may as well go all out.
(thanks to Gary for the heads up)
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (235)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)