Nov 15, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT
It’s not the “Rail Riders” because that doesn’t catch that 21st century vibe of silly, mashed together words to make things old-timey seem all fresh and new. You know, like HardballTalk.
Anyway, it’s the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders. And just because they don’t care what you think, their logo is a giant, angry porcupine on railroad tracks:
The team name was selected after fans suggested over 2,700 different names in a month-long name-the-team contest. The RailRiders moniker pays homage to the very first trolley system in America, one created right here in Northeastern Pennsylvania.
A porcupine conductor, the gritty critter that calls NEPA home, is at the centerpiece of the identity. Fans will enjoy the classic lettering and trolley tracks, combined with various porcupine, conductor and electric marks.
No word if “enjoy the porcupine” is the new team motto. But it should be. I mean, if you’re gonna try this hard to put the minor back in minor leagues, you may as well go all out.
(thanks to Gary for the heads up)
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (148)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)