Nov 15, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT
It’s not the “Rail Riders” because that doesn’t catch that 21st century vibe of silly, mashed together words to make things old-timey seem all fresh and new. You know, like HardballTalk.
Anyway, it’s the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders. And just because they don’t care what you think, their logo is a giant, angry porcupine on railroad tracks:
The team name was selected after fans suggested over 2,700 different names in a month-long name-the-team contest. The RailRiders moniker pays homage to the very first trolley system in America, one created right here in Northeastern Pennsylvania.
A porcupine conductor, the gritty critter that calls NEPA home, is at the centerpiece of the identity. Fans will enjoy the classic lettering and trolley tracks, combined with various porcupine, conductor and electric marks.
No word if “enjoy the porcupine” is the new team motto. But it should be. I mean, if you’re gonna try this hard to put the minor back in minor leagues, you may as well go all out.
(thanks to Gary for the heads up)
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 30
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 8
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 7
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 29
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 32
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 20
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)