Nov 15, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT
It’s not the “Rail Riders” because that doesn’t catch that 21st century vibe of silly, mashed together words to make things old-timey seem all fresh and new. You know, like HardballTalk.
Anyway, it’s the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders. And just because they don’t care what you think, their logo is a giant, angry porcupine on railroad tracks:
The team name was selected after fans suggested over 2,700 different names in a month-long name-the-team contest. The RailRiders moniker pays homage to the very first trolley system in America, one created right here in Northeastern Pennsylvania.
A porcupine conductor, the gritty critter that calls NEPA home, is at the centerpiece of the identity. Fans will enjoy the classic lettering and trolley tracks, combined with various porcupine, conductor and electric marks.
No word if “enjoy the porcupine” is the new team motto. But it should be. I mean, if you’re gonna try this hard to put the minor back in minor leagues, you may as well go all out.
(thanks to Gary for the heads up)
- Carlos Carrasco has a no-hitter through eight vs. the Rays 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 7
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 30
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 47
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 69
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)