Ian Kinsler would switch positions if asked by Rangers

Nov 15, 2012, 11:57 PM EST

Ian Kinsler Getty Getty Images

Jurickson Profar is regarded as one of the top position prospects in the game, but there’s no room for him in the Rangers’ infield as long as Elvis Andrus is at shortstop and Ian Kinsler is at second base. Rangers general manager Jon Daniels is reluctant to part with either Profar or Andrus, at least if recent trade talks regarding Diamondbacks outfielder Justin Upton can be believed, so one potential solution is a position switch for Kinsler.

The Rangers haven’t broached the topic with Kinsler, so it’s just an idea for now. But Kinsler told Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram that he would switch positions if asked.

“I’m paid to be a Texas Ranger,” Kinsler said Thursday afternoon before hosting Thanksgving dinner at the Family Gateway in Dallas. “Where I play on the field is not my decision. I’m going to do whatever I can to help the team win regardless of where I am on the fielder or where I’m hitting in the batting order.”

The Rangers probably won’t make a decision on a possible position switch until the offseason winds down, but there could be openings in left field and at first base. Aside from playing two innings at third base in September due to unusual circumstances, Kinsler has exclusively played second base in the major leagues.

Kinsler, 30, signed a five-year, $75 million extension with the Rangers in April which includes a $10 million option for 2018.

1. amaninwhite - Nov 16, 2012 at 12:04 AM

This is not the type of leadership that Michael Young endorses.

• mkd - Nov 16, 2012 at 3:04 AM

Yeah, based on the standard media equation Whatever Michael Young Does = Being a Great Teammate, Ian Kinsler is a totally crappy teammate. I can’t believe they signed that malcontent to a five year extension.

2. shawnuel - Nov 16, 2012 at 12:08 AM

Damn….beat me to the punch!

3. entersandman42ny - Nov 16, 2012 at 12:09 AM

He didn’t exactly say he was willing to switch positions. He just gave the typical player’s response about doing what’s best to help the team. Not much of a story here. Headline could read “Ian Kinsler would hit ninth if asked by Rangers.”

• vallewho - Nov 16, 2012 at 1:10 AM

I’m pretty sure that he thinks that what’s best for the team is for him to be at 2B.

• mkd - Nov 16, 2012 at 3:13 AM

Every player knows how to issue these whatever-helps-the-ballclub platitudes because anything else makes you look like a selfish jerk. Which is what was so hilarious about Michael Young throwing a fit about moving off SS and then throwing another fit about moving off 3B. He couldn’t even muster the will to PRETEND like he was only interested in helping the team and he STILL gets hailed as a great teammate and leader. This absolutely fascinates me. I’m pretty sure it’s the key to something.

4. joerymi - Nov 16, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Jurickson Profar…great damn name.

• wpjohnson - Nov 16, 2012 at 10:48 AM

And also a potentially great player.

5. kiwicricket - Nov 16, 2012 at 2:52 AM

He would a lot of his value if he played first, but an infield defense of Beltre, Andrus, Profar and Kinsler at 1st would be incredible

• paperlions - Nov 16, 2012 at 7:10 AM

Yeah, he really doesn’t hit enough to play first….but neither do any of the Rangers’ other options. He’d still be an offensive improvement over what they played there in 2012.

6. klingonj - Nov 16, 2012 at 6:12 AM

I remember the NY Mets great move of Reyes to 2B to allow for Japanese import Kaz Matsui working out so well. This type of move always blows up the clubhouse.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Nov 16, 2012 at 8:03 AM

I don’t know, Arod moving to 3b worked out relatively well.

7. innout10 - Nov 16, 2012 at 9:12 AM

More importantly … Why was he having thanksgiving dinner yesterday?

8. wpjohnson - Nov 16, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Profar needs a position.

9. billymc75 - Nov 16, 2012 at 8:50 PM

You have to keep his on base is unreal

10. rangermania - Nov 16, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Profar at 2b, Kinsler,Snyder and Young – DH and backups.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. J. Kang (2751)
  2. W. Myers (2507)
  3. D. Ross (2142)
  4. C. McGehee (2108)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (1956)
  1. J. Shields (1854)