Nov 15, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
Johnny Damon started at designated hitter and batted third for Thailand in Game 1 of the World Baseball Classic qualifier, going 1-for-3 with a single and a walk while grounding into a double play.
Thailand got blown out by the Philippines thanks largely to committing a WBC-record seven errors defensively, which makes Damon being their DH sort of amusing.
One team among Thailand, Chinese Taipei, New Zealand, and the Philippines will advance to participate in the 16-team WBC.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 16
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 182
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (183)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)