Matt Holliday on Matt Cain plunking him in the NLCS: “it was less than tough”

Nov 15, 2012, 3:26 PM EDT

Matt Holliday Reuters

So much arguing about awards and trades and things today. Let’s go back to some baseball. Specifically, Game 1 of the NLCS when Matt Holliday took out Marco Scutaro at second base with a sketchy-at-best slide.

Holliday admitted at the time he made a bad slide and denied any attempt to hurt Scutaro. In Game 7, however, Matt Cain plunked him.  Tim McKernan of InsideStl.com interviewed Holliday about it, and Holliday took issue with the timing of it:

The Cat: If he would’ve plunked you right after would you have taken it as part of the game and part of the medicine that you had to take? Would you say, that that would’ve gone down easier?

Matt: If you’re going to do it, I think that is when you do it. I wouldn’t be happy about it anytime. I just thought that in the situation that it actually did happen it was less than tough.

Is Jim Leyland the last guy in baseball who still uses the tried-and-true “horses–t” when talking about violations of the unwritten rules? I’ve always loved “horses–t.”  It’s perfect. “Less than tough?”  Just not feeling it.

1. Alex K - Nov 15, 2012 at 3:33 PM

I thought we decided it was spelled h*rseshit…

• paperlions - Nov 15, 2012 at 3:53 PM

M*therfucker!

That’s fantastic.

2. cur68 - Nov 15, 2012 at 3:33 PM

I’m not sure who’s more or less tough than whom between Cain & Holliday but I do know that neither of them can carry Scooter’s jock in the tough department.

3. marklar1025 - Nov 15, 2012 at 3:35 PM

up by 7 in a clinching game is the PERFECT time to get back. At least it wasnt years later, in an exhibition game, in another country – “Thats for Duane Kuiper.”

• mkd - Nov 15, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Oh man I love that story:

4. smcgaels1997 - Nov 15, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Seriously?

5. okwhitefalcon - Nov 15, 2012 at 3:51 PM

I’ve got no prob with Holliday getting plunked, it would have had more impact if done in a more timely fashion though.

The late retaliation registered a big zero compared to the whacky overblown outcry of the late slide itself.

6. shynessismyelguapo - Nov 15, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Interesting fact about Matt Holliday and toughness:

He quit using twitter for nearly a year after being repeatedly made fun by his followers for expression his adoration of Creed.

matt holliday ‏@mattholliday7
    2/4/2010 Big fan of the new creed album, helps me get through long bike workout

2/4/2010 Save it all you creed haters, I’m sure your iPod is filled with perfection. Let me know what’s cool

2/4/2010 Never thought listening to creed while I ride the bike would create such a stir. I just said I liked it, I didn’t say you had to.

2/4/210 I probably hate some of your stuff. Pretty sure that’s why there is whole bunch of different kinds of music. Note to self no more musictweet

2/6/2010 On the bike again listening to some )/$@:&;&:@@/(/($/@. You can fill in the blank with your favorite and I’ll be cool again

2/6/2010 Wait that’s in case I was ever cool to begin with

He would post one more tweet before going silent for 11 months.

• koufaxmitzvah - Nov 15, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Twitter is for pansies.

• okwhitefalcon - Nov 15, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Then Facebook is for daffodils.

• stlouis1baseball - Nov 16, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Elquapo: Are you stalking Matt Holliday?

• purnellmeagrejr - Nov 18, 2012 at 8:25 AM

I always like it when someone I think is a bit of a jerk gives me proof.

7. nickmiller63 - Nov 15, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Just read the whole interview. Two things: of course he thinks its horsesh*t that he was hit in game 7. Of course he’d prefer he was hit during a game when it could have helped his team. Whatever. And the other — Cain, to my knowledge, never said anything about hitting him. Not a word about the ball “slipping.” Inventing that quote, Mr. Holliday, is “not tough.”

8. paperlions - Nov 15, 2012 at 4:00 PM

This whole thing is silly. Of course Holliday never wants to be hit. Who does?

Also true, Marco Scutaro never wants to get run over by a runaway mac truck while trying to turn a double play. According to baseball rules, Holliday had a plunking coming, he was plunked….shouldn’t he just be glad it’s over and done with instead of waiting to get hit next spring training?

• IdahoMariner - Nov 15, 2012 at 4:18 PM

slap bet — always pick the one slap now, not the five slaps to be doled out at a time and place to be determined by the slapper.

plunking — sooner always better than later. now that i think of it, Cain should’ve waited, but made sure Holliday knew he was planning on doing it.

9. shaggylocks - Nov 15, 2012 at 4:09 PM

I love how the person asking the question is called “The Cat.” Let me guess: radio interview?

10. bobulated - Nov 15, 2012 at 4:29 PM

After crying about it he can probably expect a pitch or two to “slip” in future meetings with the Giants. Matt, either say it’s over or “no comment” and move on but don’t criticize a guy for the specifics of when he plunked you after you took out his teammate on a cheap slide. You knew it was coming and when you’re getting blown out in game 7 and the Giants have their toughest starter on the hill how could you not at least expect it a little?

11. 9foldmuse - Nov 15, 2012 at 4:39 PM

“Not tough”? Is this guy getting his euphemisms from Grover Norquist [he of the "poopy-head" quote]? If ya didn’t want a horseshit plunking, you shouldn’ta made a horseshit slide Einstein.

12. natstowngreg - Nov 15, 2012 at 5:46 PM

“Less than tough?” Seriously?

Just a thought. What if Bryce Harper had said that after getting plunked by Cole Hamels? “That was less than tough, bro.”

Just another thought. Imagine if John McGraw had one of his pitchers throw at, say, Rogers Hornsby, and Hornsby responded, “That was less than tough?”

13. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Nov 15, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Did Scutaro have the opportunity to schedule the sh!tty take-out slide? No?

Then stfu Mr. October Defense.

14. bigdicktater - Nov 15, 2012 at 6:02 PM

I was expecting either Scutaro or Crawford to bounce one off that pric* Holliday’s helmet the next time he approached second base. He’s lucky it was Cain from 60 feet away.

15. cameltoehoe - Nov 15, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Many people think Holiday was running scared ever since the terrible attempt of a take out slide in Game 2 (not Game 1, as stated in the original piece). You can tell in his posture, demeanor, & body language that he felt guilty & felt the weight of the team’s fate on his back. The Giants waited 5 games and you could just tell it was in the back of Matt’s mind at every at bat. Kinda feel sorry for him….but not really.

16. missingdiz - Nov 15, 2012 at 11:03 PM

“Posture, demeanor, & body language” of one guy playing baseball a few weeks ago? I like baseball and all, but I’ve got things to do that take my mind off of it every once in a while, like emptying the cat litter or making a cup of coffee. Dramatic stuff like that. I can’t believe I’m even writing this, although it does beat watching football.
    It’s over. The season is over. It sucks. But that’s life. If we go to every sport 365 days a year that will suck worse. So, let’s just let it go and look forward to spring.

17. dirtydrew - Nov 16, 2012 at 1:38 AM

You just choked away a 3-1 series lead. You took a very bush slide at 2b that was like no other slide all season, almost injuring another player. You had it coming. Jerk,

18. temporarilyexiled - Nov 16, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Holliday: “That was less than tough.”

Cain: “Will make sure to do better next time.”

19. byjiminy - Nov 16, 2012 at 9:27 AM

You know what’s tough? Leveling someone smaller than yourself when he can’t defend himself. Oh, and while you’re at it, go for the knees. That’s really tough! Then be sure to whine later when you get a little booboo in return. Matt Holliday: real man!

20. byjiminy - Nov 16, 2012 at 9:30 AM

You know what I would like to see? Next time Holliday “accidentally” tries to deck a man turning a double play, the fielder “accidentally” lands on him, cleats first. Why should it only go one way?

Bo Porter just first casualty around MLB